“Red Flag” schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

openstage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy this forum. Great info and people who want to help you succeed.

So here is my 2 part question for this week:

1. Are there any prospective Med Schools that you would mark with a red flag because the program has significant financial problems, academic shortcomings, low match rates, disorganized curriculum, or other reasons not to apply? Perhaps schools that are so new they are unproven? Or places that may be on probation for bad practices? I understand this can be highly subjective.

2. Where in this forum (or elsewhere on the web), do people independently review their experiences at particular schools?

Thanks again for maximum info and minimum snark,

Members don't see this ad.

Not every school has feedback, but you can view school reviews here on Student Doctor Network:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I really enjoy this forum. Great info and people who want to help you succeed.

So here is my 2 part question for this week:

1. Are there any prospective Med Schools that you would mark with a red flag because the program has significant financial problems, academic shortcomings, low match rates, disorganized curriculum, or other reasons not to apply? Perhaps schools that are so new they are unproven? Or places that may be on probation for bad practices? I understand this can be highly subjective.

2. Where in this forum (or elsewhere on the web), do people independently review their experiences at particular schools?

Thanks again for maximum info and minimum snark,
I can't recommend CNU and Penn State, for different reasons.

There are five DO schools I can't recommend either.

I can't recommend CNU and Penn State, for different reasons.

There are five DO schools I can't recommend either.

Is the issue with penn state something to do with just the medical school or the university as a whole?

What’s up with Nova?
Why not these schools?

Nova: three of the four last years have declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. They're now at ~85% and on top of this, some 7% of their 2018 grads failed to match. This was the second worst match rate among all the COMs (only WCU did worse). These are things you expect from a new school, not a veteran. Something is very wrong there.

Wm Carey: VERY high attrition rates and only a 92% placement rate for their Class of 2018. That means 8% of their grads are now unemployed, NOT doing residency. No SOAP, no scramble, no TRI. This is simply NOT acceptable. I expect they'll be put on probation very soon.

Touro-NY: Poor COMLEX II pass rates;

LUCOM: I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology.

From the wise gyngyn: Liberty is poorly regarded due to the history of intolerance of their founding fathers. This school's reputation for intolerance puts its grads at a disadvantage at many reputable residency programs.

LMU: granted continuing Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. “Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring: This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.”

This is the only COM that has this level of accreditation status right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Why not these schools?

Nova: three of the four last years have declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. They're now at ~85% and on top of this, some 7% of their 2018 grads failed to match. This was the second worst match rate among all the COMs (only WCU did worse). These are things you expect from a new school, not a veteran. Something is very wrong there.

Wm Carey: VERY high attrition rates and only a 92% placement rate for their Class of 2018. That means 8% of their grads are now unemployed, NOT doing residency. No SOAP, no scramble, no TRI. This is simply NOT acceptable. I expect they'll be put on probation very soon.

Touro-NY: Poor COMLEX II pass rates;

LUCOM: I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology.

From the wise gyngyn: Liberty is poorly regarded due to the history of intolerance of their founding fathers. This school's reputation for intolerance puts its grads at a disadvantage at many reputable residency programs.

LMU: granted continuing Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. “Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring: This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.”

This is the only COM that has this level of accreditation status right now.

Damn. That’s rough

Reactions: 1 user