Redemption for a young fool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspirant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Yet another "non-traditional" applicant reaching out here, perhaps as non-traditional as they come, considering I am years away from even beginning to apply.

A bit of background to bore you with: I was a poor student in high school, due to the usual arrogance of youth, and started my college career with just the same apathy.

Which is where one of you might come in...?

I've always been fascinated with science and with the human body, and am thrilled with the prospect of a career both serving humanity and satisfying some of my own intellectual curiosities. I have no delusions about the ugly politics inherent in any career, but I've come to the conclusion that I can only tolerate the madness for a noble cause. The only noble cause left in our society seems to be helping the sick and suffering. After making some lifestyle changes and doing some deep soul-searching, I've discovered that I am 100% committed to my goal of getting admitted to MS.

Here's my current plan: Retake classes to boost my GPA (none of the classes are premed reqs), and then do whatever necessary to ace my pre-med requirements. I'm going to be starting at square one science-wise and keeping the MCAT in mind the whole time, focusing on total command of the subjects covered. Soon I plan to get some training and will hopefully do some part time phlebotomy work while doing undergrad.

Philosophy is a major interest of mine and will probably end up being my major.

Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone "risen from the ashes", if you will, of total academic ruin and proven through hard work to the adcoms that they have what it takes to do the MD? I've heard admissions committees may discount poor freshman performance, but will they discount 2 years of mediocrity if it is followed by 3 years of dedication to academics and a high MCAT score?

2. Is it worth it to retake bombed non pre-med classes and try to salvage my GPA, or should I resign myself to the fact that I'm going to have a low UGPA and go back to shine in a grad program before applying?

Any input anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Aspirant,

You can do it. I was in your shoes. Others have been in your shoes and are now in med school. I'm not in med school yet (applying this year), but I share your pain. Here's what you need to do: Kick ASS in every class you take from here on out, and back it up with a kick-ass MCAT score. Also get some volunteer and clinical work under your belt. Do this, and you will be looked at. You've finally decided what you want to do with your life, now you just have to "prove it"
There is hope! Enjoy the journey--you wont regret it. :)

Aspirant,
I have no doubt that if you set your mind to it, you can come away with a nearly flawless string of premed courses, and a high grade on the mcat. This is all it would take. If you can show that you can shine in the premed courses, and score high on the mcat, then there should be no reason why an adcom should not consider you a competetive applicant. Everyone makes mistakes. So if you truly wanted to turn things around, and go to med school, you should be able to with lots and lots of hard work. By the way, your post is one of the most coherent, well structured posts that I have read in a long time. I bet your essay would be incredible :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think med schools will hold your IT courses against you when you apply because those courses aren't even computed into the AMCAS BPMC GPA (correct me if I am wrong here). As long as you demonstrate that every class you takes from now on (for med school) interest you and that your performance is good to excellent, I think you have more than a chance. I think you are going to be an MD if you can do this. This is like a test for you.

I was in a similar situation a few years back. The only difference is that my GPA was a little higher than yours. Like you, I questioned whether or not it was worth the fight. I spent three weeks doing a lot of reflecting and searching and I decided to screw it...if I don't get in, at least I know I tried. I am applying this year with a good MCAT score and a competitive GPA. If you want it bad enough, you are going to get it. Determination, sweat, and hope. Don't forget to have some fun while you are at it too!!! That's important! :) I wish you the best of luck!!!

Most of what I wanted to say has already been said but I just wanted to add that many schools will look at an improvement in GPA from year to year. Some even will place great emphasis on it. That is why AMCAS lists GPAs by year (fresham, sophmore, etc.) before stating your cumulative GPA. I am not a med student, only aspiring to be one (I'm applying right now). But I would say that if the dedication, intelligence, and maturity you exemplify in your post remains over the years to come you should have solid shot at getting in.

I agree with the other posters. I will add if you have only completed 1/3 of your schooling, that means you have at least 2/3 left. That should be plenty of time to bring your GPA up. It will show great improvment throughout your your soph, jr and senior years.

Put your nose to the grindstone and go full speed ahead.
:cool: :cool:

Thank you for your kind and helpful replies. I look forward to continuing to contribute to this community with any useful input I may have.