Redoing Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstu110

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that when you're reapplying you should add new stuff that you did but should you rewrite all the essays, primary and secondary ones. Do medical schools really care or expect you to?

Members don't see this ad.

well let's see. you didn't get in the first time, so why the hell would you want to submit the same stuff?

not be rude, just being honest....

Well often its NOT the essay/LOR/EC's its simply soemthing like your MCAT or GPA that have kept you out.

So if you improve your MCAT from a 25 to a 31 and submit the same info than you might get in.

Bottom line: it all depends on WHAT kept you out in the first place! I find that its usually numbers rather than your essay.

However, with that said, always try to improve and get as many people as you can to critique the essay and perhaps modify a few sentances or add your current experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
You seriously need to redo the personal statement, and rewrite the essays. my personal statements all basically said the same thing, but I created three different stories for them.

I also was told to get more letters of rec. I had four submitted, and since some schools use the prior years application, when all was said and down, I had ten LORs (all were good LORs too, all my writers let me read what they wrote, even though I waived my right).

Rewriting shouldn't be a huge deal, you've done it once, just think of new ways to say what you want. Start now and apply early too.

Do you really still feel that your original personal statement is still entirely applicable? If you've gone through some more experiences, taken more classes, etc... hasn't that changed your perspective? If so, re-write the statement to better reflect you as an applicant TODAY. If not... you're weird :D

Try to figure out where your application was weak. I don't think you have to change your personal statement. My personal statment was a summation of things throughout my life. Theres no guarentee your reasons for wanting to be a doctor will change from now to your next application. So evaluate your application. Did you have a good letter of rec's? Did you shawdow a physician? Was your GPA/MCAT low? Find your weakness. If you feel your personal statement needs to be changes, then change it. But if you feel your weakness was in another area, focus on that. If you write a new personal statment and some other area is still lacking, why should they let you in....just because 'this time' your personal statement says feel you really really want to be a doctor? Good luck!! :D