Redoing EK 101 Verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biebs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's take on re-doing old EK 101 verbal passages?

I was planning on taking the MCAT last year (about this time) and did lessons 1-12. I am almost done with lesson 14, and wanted to see if I should maybe buy a brand new book and work the passages again.

I don't think I would remember much as I really didn't go over my mistakes hardcore when I originally took the test, this is probably why I didn't see much improvement in my VR score. I have TPR, but I also have about a month and a half before my test date and by the time I go through that book, I will still be short on practice materials.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What is everyone's take on re-doing old EK 101 verbal passages?

I was planning on taking the MCAT last year (about this time) and did lessons 1-12. I am almost done with lesson 14, and wanted to see if I should maybe buy a brand new book and work the passages again.

I don't think I would remember much as I really didn't go over my mistakes hardcore when I originally took the test, this is probably why I didn't see much improvement in my VR score. I have TPR, but I also have about a month and a half before my test date and by the time I go through that book, I will still be short on practice materials.

Thanks

If you've forgotten the passages and didn't properly go over it the first time around it seems like now's the time to really extract the benefits from the book. And one of my TPR instructors recommended redoing the verbal passages for practice, he said it helped his score a lot.

If you've forgotten the passages and didn't properly go over it the first time around it seems like now's the time to really extract the benefits from the book. And one of my TPR instructors recommended redoing the verbal passages for practice, he said it helped his score a lot.

Thanks, this is what I thought too. I don't think that I will remember the passages. I do want to retake them because I think EK has some really good tips. Working through lesson 13 and 14 and thoroughly going through and reviewing my mistakes has helped me. I am incorporating some TPR advice in there too, like re-reading a passages and writing out what each paragraph is about and the main point, tone, etc--then trying to use that information and reanswer the questions, trying derive the correct answer.

Doing this has made me realize the importance of actually understanding and putting conscious thought into what I am reading. I find I am missing 1, maybe 2 questions per passage on passages I can read fine, but the ones on like China, etc where I don't have a clue--I am missing 4-5. Yikes!

Also, I found that a lot of the information is right in the passage! I just need to know where to look, I know this goes 100% against EK, but it seems to be working for me. I have pretty bad reading comprehension skills and don't really remember too much of the specifics--but enough to get the main idea and tone of the author.

Yea this was my plan until I realized I could re-do AAMC passages. (retaker here from last summer) (AAMC 3-10) 8 times 7 is 56 passages, will last 1-2 weeks.

After that, I plan to use EK verbal again. I tried around 20 passages so far and haven't been able to remember most of the stuff!