Redox in biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalNucleicAcid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that reduction is gaining electrons and oxidation is losing, but what does this mean in terms of biological processes? I see this type of vocab used very frequently in biology. Like oxidizing molecules. Or a reducing sugar. What does that mean? A question from Destroyer said that breaking disulfide bonds happens in reducing conditions. Does this mean that breaking things apart means reduction and synthesizing things means oxidation?

Members don't see this ad.

I understand that reduction is gaining electrons and oxidation is losing, but what does this mean in terms of biological processes? I see this type of vocab used very frequently in biology. Like oxidizing molecules. Or a reducing sugar. What does that mean? A question from Destroyer said that breaking disulfide bonds happens in reducing conditions. Does this mean that breaking things apart means reduction and synthesizing things means oxidation?

It is really considered on case by case basis. In the instance of reduction of disulfide bonds, you must add a hydrogen to reduce them, if you added oxygen, it would be oxidation.
Usually as a rule of thumb, adding hydrogens is reduction, adding oxygens is oxidation.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user