Redox question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaggybill

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why the answer is D?

218104145-IMG_0808.jpg

In the answer, it states that the oxidation numbers of neither hydrogen nor oxygen change in this reaction, but it looks to me like the the H goes from +2 to +1. As for the oxygen, I guess I'm confused as to which one to look at on the products side.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone explain why the answer is D?

218104145-IMG_0808.jpg

In the answer, it states that the oxidation numbers of neither hydrogen nor oxygen change in this reaction, but it looks to me like the the H goes from +2 to +1. As for the oxygen, I guess I'm confused as to which one to look at on the products side.

Thanks!

H has only one electron, so it can never be a +2. You need to divide the +2 for both hydrogens by 2 (because there are two hydrogens in water) to get a value of +1 each.

Also, what may help, is that you get 2 HNO3 molecules on the product side of the equation.

3 NO2 + 1 H2O -> 2 HNO3 + 1 NO

Other than the oxidation state of H being incorrect, the rest is fine.

Thank you for the reply. I still dont understand the oxygen though. How can I know which oxygen on the products side is the one to use when comparing oxidative numbers?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out as soon as I submitted this post. :)