reduction of nitrile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In road map, nitrile is reduced to C-NH2 when LiAlH4, Et2O, and H2O are used.

In #73, nitrile is reduced to C-NH2 and the reagent used was LiAlH4, Et2O then H3O+ (instead of H2O)

The explanation says LiAlH4 with H2O is good way to blow yourself up.

There was LiAlH4, H2O for a choice but this isn't the answer (probably because Et2O) is not present.

My question is
is it ok to use H3O+ in place of H2O? and if the answer is yes, is it just for this reaction or can H3O work just like H2O in any other reactions?

Members don't see this ad.

In road map, nitrile is reduced to C-NH2 when LiAlH4, Et2O, and H2O are used.

In #73, nitrile is reduced to C-NH2 and the reagent used was LiAlH4, Et2O then H3O+ (instead of H2O)

The explanation says LiAlH4 with H2O is good way to blow yourself up.

There was LiAlH4, H2O for a choice but this isn't the answer (probably because Et2O) is not present.

My question is
is it ok to use H3O+ in place of H2O? and if the answer is yes, is it just for this reaction or can H3O work just like H2O in any other reactions?

LiAlH4 is basically a Hydrogen with 2 electrons looking for anything to bind to. In water, it will come across many Hydrogens to bind to (and make H2 gas). In acidic water (H3O+), it will come across MORE Hydrogen atoms....wait, never mind. Just read the question, it says LAH, ether THEN H3O+. You got me there joonkim ;)

i'm pretty sure H2O and H30+ can be interchangeably when used with LiAlH4. I think its because water can act as an acid/base so using water instead of H30+ wont make a difference.

i'm pretty sure H2O and H30+ can be interchangeably when used with LiAlH4. I think its because water can act as an acid/base so using water instead of H30+ wont make a difference.

Man...I misread EVERYTHING. HAHAHAHAHA. H2O can act as a acid as previous poster said instead of H3O.