joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
In road map, nitrile is reduced to C-NH2 when LiAlH4, Et2O, and H2O are used.

In #73, nitrile is reduced to C-NH2 and the reagent used was LiAlH4, Et2O then H3O+ (instead of H2O)

The explanation says LiAlH4 with H2O is good way to blow yourself up.

There was LiAlH4, H2O for a choice but this isn't the answer (probably because Et2O) is not present.

My question is
is it ok to use H3O+ in place of H2O? and if the answer is yes, is it just for this reaction or can H3O work just like H2O in any other reactions?

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
In road map, nitrile is reduced to C-NH2 when LiAlH4, Et2O, and H2O are used.

In #73, nitrile is reduced to C-NH2 and the reagent used was LiAlH4, Et2O then H3O+ (instead of H2O)

The explanation says LiAlH4 with H2O is good way to blow yourself up.

There was LiAlH4, H2O for a choice but this isn't the answer (probably because Et2O) is not present.

My question is
is it ok to use H3O+ in place of H2O? and if the answer is yes, is it just for this reaction or can H3O work just like H2O in any other reactions?

LiAlH4 is basically a Hydrogen with 2 electrons looking for anything to bind to. In water, it will come across many Hydrogens to bind to (and make H2 gas). In acidic water (H3O+), it will come across MORE Hydrogen atoms....wait, never mind. Just read the question, it says LAH, ether THEN H3O+. You got me there joonkim ;)

gentile1225

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
New York
Status
Pre-Dental
i'm pretty sure H2O and H30+ can be interchangeably when used with LiAlH4. I think its because water can act as an acid/base so using water instead of H30+ wont make a difference.

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
i'm pretty sure H2O and H30+ can be interchangeably when used with LiAlH4. I think its because water can act as an acid/base so using water instead of H30+ wont make a difference.
Man...I misread EVERYTHING. HAHAHAHAHA. H2O can act as a acid as previous poster said instead of H3O.

About the Ads