Reference sources for new hospital pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacistReb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Board requires we give a list of physical reference books that will be housed in the pharmacy. Will be using MicroMedex 99 percent of the time. I'm in the process of getting ready for opening. We are going to order Sanford Guide, DIH, and Trissell's. Any other recommendations on a text reference necessity?

I've worked in hospital for years and have never utilized a reference text outside of a handful of times. Any suggestions on any other backup literature to include?

Members don't see this ad.

Board requires we give a list of physical reference books that will be housed in the pharmacy. Will be using MicroMedex 99 percent of the time. I'm in the process of getting ready for opening. We are going to order Sanford Guide, DIH, and Trissell's. Any other recommendations on a text reference necessity?

I've worked in hospital for years and have never utilized a reference text outside of a handful of times. Any suggestions on any other backup literature to include?

Addendum to above question: We will be a small hospital. No specialty pharmacy books will be required.

I've got a Harriet Lane Handbook nearby for peds, but I've only used it a few times to confirm something from another source. I think we have a PDR because it was free? I've never used it. Sanford and Trissell's are the only two books I open regularly.
Iowa law dictates pretty specifically what we need to have, but they're allowed to be physical copies or electronic. See if your state has a list and make sure you cover all those bases.

Members don't see this ad :)

Barnes and Noble usually has Sanford

Just buy as many books as possible and bill it to the hospital. I love seeing a library of books in the pharmacy. Adds classiness IMO.

Just bill mahogany bookshelves to the CMO's business account

ASHP injectable

Pregnancy and Lactation, Teddy Bear Book

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users