References for internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psydstudent2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was informed by the DCT that two of my letter writers for internship apps should be supervisors and the third should be my adviser. However, I have a closer relationship with the Dean and was wondering if it would make me any less competitive to have a letter from him rather than my adviser? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was informed by the DCT that two of my letter writers for internship apps should be supervisors and the third should be my adviser. However, I have a closer relationship with the Dean and was wondering if it would make me any less competitive to have a letter from him rather than my adviser? Thanks!
How is it that you have a closer relationship with the dean than your advisor?

Reactions: 1 users
If it were me, I would stick to the expected letters. Maybe add on a letter from the Dean as a supplementary letter, which some sites allow. Ideally, you want writers who can speak to your intervention, assessment, research, and academic attributes. You might weight some of those more than others depending on your intended audience.

If your Dean can speak to those attributes, then go with that. Remember, letters of recommendation in this context are speaking to your personal AND professional strengths and weaknesses. If you leave one out, you'd be putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
On a somewhat similar line of questioning—I’m applying to sites with a neuropsych track/major rotation and my advisor suggested getting recommendations from 2 primary neuropsych supervisors and 1 therapy supervisor (in lieu of 1 from him as my research advisor) to balance out my neuropsych focus with some generalist perspective.

Both my research advisor and previous therapy supervisor wrote me excellent letters for practicum applications—so would this make a huge difference or should I stick to my research advisor who knows me best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a somewhat similar line of questioning—I’m applying to sites with a neuropsych track/major rotation and my advisor suggested getting recommendations from 2 primary neuropsych supervisors and 1 therapy supervisor (in lieu of 1 from him as my research advisor) to balance out my neuropsych focus with some generalist perspective.

Both my research advisor and previous therapy supervisor wrote me excellent letters for practicum applications—so would this make a huge difference or should I stick to my research advisor who knows me best?

It's the same answer. Your advisor is supposed to be mentoring you throughout your program, making it crucial to have them write one of your letters. They are the one who can best to speak to your overall progress throughout grad school, as they have ostensibly had the most contact with you (e.g., thesis and dissertation committees, comps or prelims, lab meetings and individual research meetings) and been integrating feedback from other sources (e.g., other faculty who taught you in courses, research collaborators, clinical supervisors) into the overall picture of you as a psychologist trainee.

Remember that there is a "standard form" for letter writers, which address ALL THE AREAS of competency a person is expected to develop throughout training. Yes, intervention and assessment are two of them, but also research, professional attitude, ethics, interpersonal skills, etc. Your research mentor is an important person to get a letter from because they can speak to your progress on milestones throughout the program (the DCT may touch on this, but not as well as a research mentor can), what it is like to work with you on projects, your professionalism, etc. Another supervisor's letter can almost never replace the one from your mentor.

Reactions: 1 user
Remember that there is a "standard form" for letter writers, which address ALL THE AREAS of competency a person is expected to develop throughout training. Yes, intervention and assessment are two of them, but also research, professional attitude, ethics, interpersonal skills, etc. Your research mentor is an important person to get a letter from because they can speak to your progress on milestones throughout the program (the DCT may touch on this, but not as well as a research mentor can), what it is like to work with you on projects, your professionalism, etc. Another supervisor's letter can almost never replace the one from your mentor.
This is exactly what I was referring to. Your mentor speaks to your personal qualities, other areas in which you clinical training supervisor cannot, and the overall gestalt of you as a psychologist trainee.

Honestly, it's pretty odd if your own mentor advises that you get recommendations from other people. They should know from their own training and experience how crucial the mentor's recommendation is.

Thanks for the feedback! I found it odd as well, but wasn’t sure if that was just me overthinking it or not. Will definitely be going with my research advisor as a recommended moving forward.

I echo everything above, and would unequivocally say No to choosing the Dean over your advisor. Speaking from my own experience approx. 5 years ago, my mentor/advisor did not submit my letter of rec until one week before the end of the application cycle for my sites (this was my fault not his). Consequently, there were about 8 sites that I could not submit his letter with, and was only left with 3 from supervisors. I did not get any interviews at any of those sites. As soon as my advisor's letter was submitted, I got interviews at every other site. There's a lot of capital assigned to that advisor letter.

Reactions: 1 user