References from Science Professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhope31

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a senior planning to start applying to medical school in June and I am trying to get together all the materials. I was wondering about References from Science professors...

I am an Bio Anthro major and I have focused a lot in public health classes. I have one recommendation from an bio-anthro prof, one from a public health prof who is a doctor, and one from a biology professor who teaches a class that is crosslisted in anthropology class. I would also have recommendations from a doctor that I have worked with in a research study and another employer in public health organization.

The thing is, I heard that we should try to get recommendation letters from one of the classes that everyone had to take ( like a basic science, physio, biochem).
Should I try to get a recommendation letter from a professor in one of the more "hardcore" biology classes? Do office hours relationships produce good letters of recommendation? I talked to a physio professor quite a bit about the stuff in the class that I was really excited about, but that relationship only lasted for a semester last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, the professors that you have should be fine; they taught you in a science subject and i'm assuming you have closer relationships with them, sine you asked them first. My two science reccs were both from physical anthro professors, one of whom i had even gone abroad with to do an archaeological dig, in addition to taking multiple bio/anthro classes with him, and the other who i had for two bio/anthro classes and was my thesis advisor. I have been told at almost all of my interviews how wonderful my LORs were, and some of my interviewers even told me that htat is what convinced them i should be at their school.

I would say the recommendations you are missing is one from a non-science professor (many schools require this) and possibly one from a volunteer activity or leadership you have done (non science and non-paid). And think about which ones you want to send, a lot of schools don't want more than 5.