References

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baronzb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What work references are sought after by prospective employers? How do co-worker pharmacists stack up? How crucial is the reference from the boss, particularly the last job? How much weight do the references hold in the process and are they called often in the job process?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the person. I'm not in charge of hiring at all, but if I were, I'd consider them useless. Even the most useless pharmacist can cobble together 3 people that will say nice things about them.

Reactions: 1 users
What's the standard you have seen over the years for references, count, position, and quality thereof?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the person. I'm not in charge of hiring at all, but if I were, I'd consider them useless. Even the most useless pharmacist can cobble together 3 people that will say nice things about them.

Completely agree with WVUPharm2007, but to qualify a detail, in the institutional pharmacy business within a market area (and in AZ, the state) being such a small world, it's also quite likely that the hiring pharmacist would probably call someone they knew over at the other hospital rather than read the list unless the names matched in which case that call would definitely happen if the hire was not an inside job in the first place (Using AZ as the example again, the three largest hospital chains Banner, Abrazo, and CHW rarely ever need to post official positions as most hires are insider referral jobs from other pharmacists already employed or through their residency farm program). For VA's, there's a couple of informal networks that those matters come up in when deciding to accept transfers within the civil service (and some pharmacies where leaving them automatically makes the candidate viable).

We had a potential tech application but her previous work reference said bad things about her doing no call/no show. we delayed hiring her but then reached out and tried to hire her anyways. She never called back.

I get a lot of email requests for references these days. They email you link to some 1-5 scale questions and a couple essay questions. I only complete them if the person asked me first and I agreed, in which case I am going to say good things.

Use LinkedIn to stay in touch with past bosses and coworkers. Makes it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile