Referring to Med Student Interviewer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heels20

Reaction score
I have a med school interview in a couple days and I just found out that my interviewer will be a med student. Is it ok to call my interviewer by their first name (in the interview and/or in a thank you letter)? They obviously don't go by Dr. yet and it seems silly to call them Mr./Ms. when they are most likely only a few years older than me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Usually they will tell you call me John or whatever because you're right, it is a little silly to call them Mr. If you lead on the formal side and then they're like oh pls dont call me Mr. I doubt you'll get dinged anywhere.

I have a med school interview in a couple days and I just found out that my interviewer will be a med student. Is it ok to call my interviewer by their first name (in the interview and/or in a thank you letter)? They obviously don't go by Dr. yet and it seems silly to call them Mr./Ms. when they are most likely only a few years older than me.
Yes, first name in person is fine , if they introduce by first name. But in the thank you email still call Mr/Ms

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, first name in person is fine , if they introduce by first name. But in the thank you email still call Mr/Ms

It is always correct to introduce yourself as [first name] [last name].
It is on you to call them Mr. [last name] or Ms. [last name] or Dr. [last name].

If they say, call me "Pat" then go with it but don't automatically go to the first name, particularly if the person is older.

Reactions: 3 users
^ This. It is also never inappropriate to ask someone how they wish to be addressed.

• Love
It is presumptuous to say, "May I call you Pat?" It would be better to say, "Nice to meet you, Mr. Murphy." and let Mr. Murphy say "please call me Pat."

I wouldn’t say that. If the person does not indicate what they would like to be called I would say “how do you prefer to be addressed?”

while it's always good to be polite and play it safe as an interviewee, any med student who insists you refer to them as Mr./Ms./whatever during an interview is a pretentious asshat, imo. They'll be your future classmate, not supervisor.

Thank you everyone! I'll refer to the interviewer as Mr./Ms. at first just to be safe and will call them by their first name if they correct me.