Refinance student loans as NICU Fellow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KP2AZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all
I'm a 1st year NICU fellow who went to a private medical school (>350k in loan debt). Currently weighing pros and cons of refinancing federal student loans after the payments start back up in February.
One factor I can't seem to find is: Are most neonatologists employed by a private group (Mednax, etc) or a non-profit 501c3 that would qualify for PSLF. I have no idea where my future job will be, so just trying to figure out what the national average job/employment looks like for our profession.

Thanks,
KP2AZ

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Y'all
I'm a 1st year NICU fellow who went to a private medical school (>350k in loan debt). Currently weighing pros and cons of refinancing federal student loans after the payments start back up in February.
One factor I can't seem to find is: Are most neonatologists employed by a private group (Mednax, etc) or a non-profit 501c3 that would qualify for PSLF. I have no idea where my future job will be, so just trying to figure out what the national average job/employment looks like for our profession.

Thanks,
KP2AZ
I don’t know what the breakup is, but I would never stake any decisions on the PSLF.

I don’t know what the breakup is, but I would never stake any decisions on the PSLF.

Meh... lots of physicians are getting loan forgiveness, though you have to make sure you dot all your i's and cross all your t's.

OP, I would recommend waiting until you sign your first contract. If it's with a non-profit organization, you haven't lost any gains towards PSLF and would only need another 3-5 years of payments for forgiveness. Double check your eligibility now just in case--if you don't have qualifying loans in the first place, might as well refinance now. If you do, and you haven't submitted for your residency payments, do that in January.