Refractive eye surgery for a Radiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you have refractive eye surgery done as a Radiologist?

• Yes

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gilaze

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would any of you have refractive eye surgery (especially ICL surgery) done as a Radiologist/future Radiologist? Does anyone know any Radiologist that ended his/her career after having eye surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

Would any of you have refractive eye surgery (especially ICL surgery) done as a Radiologist/future Radiologist? Does anyone know any Radiologist that ended his/her career after having eye surgery?

The risk of loss of low-luminance contrast sensitivity with LASIK is not worth the convenience of not having to wear contacts/glasses. I'll get ICLs when I get cataracts and need someone to cut my eyes anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
I had LASIK when I was a medical student, but already knew I was going into radiology. More than one of my radiology colleagues in the past have had it as well, some while a resident.

I had a pretty low prescription but moderate astigmatism, which made wearing contacts suboptimal. If you've ever worn those lenses, you know what I mean. They are thicker, rotate out of position, and are drier.

I have never regretted it. I have fewer problems with dry eyes than I had before. People talk about halos, but you also see halos with both glasses and contacts. There is some pretty good evidence that the risk of significant complications from LASIK is extremely low and similar to long term contact wear. That said, it's an individual choice and if you are too worried about it, then don't do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The risk of loss of low-luminance contrast sensitivity with LASIK is not worth the convenience of not having to wear contacts/glasses. I'll get ICLs when I get cataracts and need someone to cut my eyes anyway.

Changes in contrast sensitivity can occur with lasik, but the rest of your post makes no sense. ICLs are totally different than lasik, and why would you get an ICL once youve already developed cataracts?

Changes in contrast sensitivity can occur with lasik, but the rest of your post makes no sense. ICLs are totally different than lasik, and why would you get an ICL once youve already developed cataracts?

I'm mixing up unfamiliar terms.

I want to minimize the cutting of the looking balls.

He’s talking about lens replacements, ie what you get when you have cataract surgery.

If you do it, definitely only do one eye at a time.

I’ve also noticed my ophthalmology friends wear glasses.

This is also going to depend on the amount of prescription. If one is a low myope, -1.00 to -2.50 or so, then that actually fits with a rads job well since youre doing a lot of computer work reading films, etc even though your distance isnt good. You could just remove your glasses or contacts and see well in that setting without altering your natural eye structure. ICL (intraocular contact lens) is going to be reserved for high myopes generally greater than -8.00 or more depending on corneal thickness. Or if youre a moderate myope, a hyperope +1.00 to +4.00 or so, or either group with a small to moderate amount of astigmatism, then LASIK would be the way to go, and despite the potential for glare or decreased contrast sensitivity, the majority of my patients will still tell you theyre way better off than they were. But as was mentioned, this is all personal preference of how it fits into your daily routine, risks and benefits should of course be weighed, but overall the point being its a very safe procedure these days. Even with the negatives mentioned above, "ending a radiologists career" is a pretty dramatic statement.

IOL (intraocular lens) is what is placed during cataract surgery :thumbup:

He’s talking about lens replacements, ie what you get when you have cataract surgery.

If you do it, definitely only do one eye at a time.

I’ve also noticed my ophthalmology friends wear glasses.

Glasses should be in vogue currently.

I don't know why people are obsessed with wearing contacts. Nobody wants to stare at the bags under your eyes and hear you complain about dry eyes.

This is also going to depend on the amount of prescription. If one is a low myope, -1.00 to -2.50 or so, then that actually fits with a rads job well since youre doing a lot of computer work reading films, etc even though your distance isnt good. You could just remove your glasses or contacts and see well in that setting without altering your natural eye structure. ICL (intraocular contact lens) is going to be reserved for high myopes generally greater than -8.00 or more depending on corneal thickness. Or if youre a moderate myope, a hyperope +1.00 to +4.00 or so, or either group with a small to moderate amount of astigmatism, then LASIK would be the way to go, and despite the potential for glare or decreased contrast sensitivity, the majority of my patients will still tell you theyre way better off than they were. But as was mentioned, this is all personal preference of how it fits into your daily routine, risks and benefits should of course be weighed, but overall the point being its a very safe procedure these days. Even with the negatives mentioned above, "ending a radiologists career" is a pretty dramatic statement.

IOL (intraocular lens) is what is placed during cataract surgery :thumbup:
I only qualify for ICL, but I have doubts about potential complications that may risk my career, especially since it's a relatively new procedure with no evidence of long-term effects. However, after reading your last line I assume it would be very rare to suffer any complication that would make it impossible to continue into Radiology.

I only qualify for ICL, but I have doubts about potential complications that may risk my career, especially since it's a relatively new procedure with no evidence of long-term effects. However, after reading your last line I assume it would be very rare to suffer any complication that would make it impossible to continue into Radiology.

Honestly not that new at all. Biggest complications are:

1. Angle closure - non existent as long as your surgeon performs a pre-op or intra-operative iridotomy (hole in the iris to prevent aqueous block)

2. Cataract - If the ICL happens to touch the lens in any way you will rapidly develop a cataract, which again is extremely rare these days. And if it does happen, youre simply going to basically have cataract surgery with removal of the ICL and implantation of an IOL, as is standard for any older person with a basic cataract. As a younger person in a medical field you would be wise to simply get a multifocal IOL implanted which gives you full range of vision from near to distance. An additional procedure with the basic associated risks for sure, but far from blinding and career ending.

Your biggest issue here honestly is that a lot of refractive surgeons dont bother with your level of RX anymore and thus have no experience with ICL implantation, so its paramount to find someone experienced in ICLs. After that its honestly no different than the baseline risks involved in a cataract or LASIK procedure.