Refreshing Tiny Details for the Test/Studying for Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member232

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice from anyone that is/has experienced this. I'm retaking the MCAT so I've definitely spent a while studying all the concepts, and started reviewing content from scratch 2 months ago. My test is August 3rd, but I feel like a lot of the specific details I came across while studying a couple of months ago are really vague and hard to recall at times. When I took my actual MCAT the first time, I felt like the points I was missing in the sciences on Test Day was due to pressure of the actual test and relying too much on outside knowledge for passage based questions instead of analyzing and trying to find the answer from the passage. I really want to prevent this from happening this time on the MCAT and have been working on a lot of passages. However, I do feel like I am loosing a grasp of some of the material I reviewed 2 months ago. What's the most effective way of retaining details only to the point that is necessary? I don't want to get too focused on memorizing details, otherwise I'll sacrifice using the passages again. I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm just trying to figure out how to best prep myself to get the science scores I know I am capable of.

Thanks sincerely in advance, I really appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Try to gain a deeper understanding of the material by learning WHY things happen. The fine details are hard to remember, and they take up a lot of memory space. Sometimes you have to memorize fine details, but most of the time, learning WHY something happens will allow you to remember it easier and to easily apply your knowledge to new situations.

Vihsadas describes this really well in his 30+ MCAT study habits post.