Regarding NSU and CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LastDance

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about NSU, and their MPH program. I was told that if medical students decide to pursue the MPH program, then the MPH is free (saving about $50,000) and the 3rd and 4th year of medical school is also free. I wanted to know if this is accurate and if this option is offered to EVERYONE. In other words, do medical students need to maintain a certain gpa (or something) to be able to do the MPH, or is it open for everyone in the college of medicine. Also, i wanted to know if doing an MPH increases chances of obtaining a better residency? this option is very tempting, since i have been looking at CCOM very seriously also. In other words, would it be beter to go to NSU and do the MPH, or go to CCOM??? Thanks a lot...

Members don't see this ad.

Only the MPH is free. 3rd and 4th year free with research or OMM fellowships.

oh ok, maybe i misunderstood then, so how does the research or OMM internship work then? for he MPH, i believe the way it works is, during your second year of med school you do your first year of MPH concurrently, and then take a year off from med school and complete your second year of MPH... and then go on and finish up 3rd and 4th year of med school... am i correct? thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
oh ok, maybe i misunderstood then, so how does the research or OMM internship work then? for he MPH, i believe the way it works is, during your second year of med school you do your first year of MPH concurrently, and then take a year off from med school and complete your second year of MPH... and then go on and finish up 3rd and 4th year of med school... am i correct? thanks again
For the research or OMM fellowship, the third year is devoted to the fellowship respectively. As an incentive, the third and four year is tuition free. Following the fellowship, you have your third and fourth year of med school.

I do not think it is outlined when you have to take the 27 semester hours of core courses and 15 semester hours of elective courses. You just must complete the courses within five years of matriculation. Hope this helps.

To my understanding, you do not need to take a year off for the MPH. All courses are taken concurrently (night classes). The coursework just need to be completed within 5 years. They said that a lot of the med students use their clinicals for the required public health field experience. Also, you do have to be in good standing academically following 1st semester for you to be eligible for the MPH.

To my understanding, you do not need to take a year off for the MPH. All courses are taken concurrently (night classes). The coursework just need to be completed within 5 years. They said that a lot of the med students use their clinicals for the required public health field experience. Also, you do have to be in good standing academically following 1st semester for you to be eligible for the MPH.
That is correct. As far as fulfilling the MPH requirements during clinicals, the experience must require a level of patient contact or you will not be able to satisfy the clinical portion of your fourth year rotation.

ahh, i see... now do you know what research opportunities are available to us? and also, approximately how many students take the MPH option?

thanks a bunch!!

ahh, i see... now do you know what research opportunities are available to us? and also, approximately how many students take the MPH option?

thanks a bunch!!
Have you had an interview at NSU? These questions can be answered during that. At this point, there is only a couple of research fellowships. I think quite a few students take the MPH option. The website doesn't indicate that the MPH was free, but as a discount. There may be something different for the DO students though.

Have you had an interview at NSU? These questions can be answered during that. At this point, there is only a couple of research fellowships. I think quite a few students take the MPH option. The website doesn't indicate that the MPH was free, but as a discount. There may be something different for the DO students though.

The school is able to offer the MPH to DO students free because the program is within the College of Osteopathic Medicine, it is not a separate College department.

The school is able to offer the MPH to DO students free because the program is within the College of Osteopathic Medicine, it is not a separate College department.
:thumbup: Thanks!

you start MPH classes during your 2nd semester of 1st year..NOT 2nd year..my roommate is doing it..thats how i know..and pretty much if you want to do it..you can do it (no competition or anything)..and the best thing about it is that it doesnt count toward your med school gpa..so in essence its all pass/fail...i decided against it since it wouldnt benefit me in any way and i dont want any extra work.