Regarding PA on Covered Non-formulary Birth Control

Started by shaq786
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shaq786

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I never knew about this situation until now. Pt has birth control at copay of $15/month. One month later, it goes to non-formulary but is still covered at $40/month. I tell the pt. this info. And tell them that there is a list of birth control pills that are formulary for $15/month, contact your insurance company to find out and the doctor can switch you.

The pharmacists then suggests that the pt. can do a prior authorization to get the insurance to cover the medicine back to $15/month, since it is a pain to just switch birth control pills. In your experience, do you think the insurance would put a drug that they are already covering (as non-formulary) at $40/month back on formulary at $15/month if you try a prior authorization?
 
I never knew about this situation until now. Pt has birth control at copay of $15/month. One month later, it goes to non-formulary but is still covered at $40/month. I tell the pt. this info. And tell them that there is a list of birth control pills that are formulary for $15/month, contact your insurance company to find out and the doctor can switch you.

The pharmacists then suggests that the pt. can do a prior authorization to get the insurance to cover the medicine back to $15/month, since it is a pain to just switch birth control pills. In your experience, do you think the insurance would put a drug that they are already covering (as non-formulary) at $40/month back on formulary at $15/month if you try a prior authorization?

I have never seen a copay reduced. I could be wrong, but unless this is a computer error, I have never seen it.