Regarding surgery and anticoagulation..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxBoy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from our obvious ASRA guidelines regarding anti-coagulation and regional techiniques, do anesthesiologists have any say whether a surgery is a go vs. no go regarding anticoagulation/antiplatelet surgery?

Example: Crazy, horrible surgeon who is known to bleed people to death finds out on day of surgery his patient is taking plavix even though the patient doesn't need it. Surgery is an elective ex-lap bowel resection on a Jehova's witness. He says I'd don't give a crap what they are on, take them to OR now. Refuses to make it an emergency.

Do we as anesthesiologists have any say in this manner? What would a correct oral board answer? Are we held liable if the patient croaks due to exsanguination?

I mean I have done vascular bypass grafts cases with the patient INR of 3 (AFTER FFP) + plavix or the ITP with platelet of 1k for splenectomy... But these are obvious therapeutic surgeries.What about in the purely elective case?

Members don't see this ad.