Regional Interview Disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnyBunny7

the newest St. Lunatic
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a pre-med applying for the 2003 entering class, and I was wondering if anyone knows from experience (or otherwise, I guess) if there's a disadvantage to having a regional interview, as far as the impression you give adcoms by choosing a regional over actually going to the school. I mean will they think you're not as interested in the school if you choose a regional and think you're not a serious applicant?

I know for Duke it's slightly advantageous to the applicant if they choose a regional interview (well it says that on their website), but I was wondering about other schools. SLU in particular. I got my first interview invite from their yesterday and I'm debating about a regional.

I know you don't get the advantage of actually seeing the school, but if I was accepted and was seriously considering the school then I would definitely go visit it. But I'm trying to cut down on some costs, so if it doesn't hurt my chances of being accepted, then I'd choose a regional. Applying to 20 schools is pretty pricey.

Any advice/opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Sunny. I know that it is better to go to the school for the interview unless it is absolutely impossible because of finances or whatever. Georgetown, for instance, expects you to come because you don't only interview, but you also tour the school & meet faculty/students.

I really don't think there's any disadvantage, especially with SLU (because I had a regional interview with them and got in). If you can afford it time and money-wise, go. If not, do the regional, and don't worry about it.

Thanks. It turns out that I couldn't get a regional anyway. They haven't coordinated it or whatever yet since I guess they don't start until later. So I went ahead and scheduled it at SLU. I had to make it on 12/3, because of midterms and all, which is probably when they start regionals anyway. But whatever. I also realized that if adcoms thought you weren't as interested in the school, why would they even waste their time setting up all these regionals and flying their people out? So I guess they don't really think that you're not a serious applicant. Anyways, thanks for the advice.