Registering for courses as a non-degree student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karats

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? Late registration, zero priority, so much paperwork. I did not realize it would be this difficult. Apparently just because you see classes available on the registration page doesn't apparently mean it's open?!

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this? It's times like these I wish I took college more seriously so I wouldn't be in a position where I have to take non-degree courses.

I seriously feel like crying right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't experienced anything like that. If anything, post-bac is pretty cool as you can register for any course regardless of pre-reqs, even the labs!! (found out too late though :( ). If I had known that earlier, I would've taken Biochem 1+ 2 and cell bio and genetics instead of wasting money for Intro bio 1+2. That would've made it more impressive. I had't taken a bio course at any level before in my life so I was kinda intimidated lol.
Oh well...

I haven't experienced anything like that. If anything, post-bac is pretty cool as you can register for any course regardless of pre-reqs (found out too late though :( ). If I had known that earlier, I would've taken Biochem 1+ 2 and cell bio and genetics instead of wasting money for Intro bio 1+2. That would've made it more impressive. I had't taken a bio course at any level before in my life so I was kinda intimidated lol.
Oh well...

I have to show proof of prereqs for every class I want to take. I have to individually get it approved for every class since my prereqs aren't in the system (doing it at a state school that was not my undergrad school). Even then I simply just might not get my classes due to how many people want to take the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's truly a pain, I feel you. For one of my classes though, I ended up emailing the professor explaining my situation and he gave me access to the class without having to jump through all the ridiculous bureaucratic barriers. It's worth trying if you're having a lot of trouble

Really? Different schools have different policies it seems. I initially thought the same as you until the second semester when I tried to petition to take genetics+Intro bio 2 (a pre-req) at the same time. The advisor then told me that there was no pre-req for post-bac!!!
Try to wait-list it. There should be many who forget to pay on the first day and are dropped!

Edit: did you ask THE advisor of your target department about pre-reqs? I was initially told that I needed pre-reqs by the front people.

It's truly a pain, I feel you. For one of my classes though, I ended up emailing the professor explaining my situation and he gave me access to the class without having to jump through all the ridiculous bureaucratic barriers. It's worth trying if you're having a lot of trouble

I have heard this to be an option. I would hate to come off entitled though. Basically I am asking them to go over the class limit. Is this standard or do I come off entitled asking for this favor?

I have heard this to be an option. I would hate to come off entitled though. Basically I am asking them to go over the class limit. Is this standard or do I come off entitled asking for this favor?
If you explain your situation and put it nicely it doesn't have to be entitled, especially if a lot of time has passed since regular students have been able to enroll. Never hurts to ask imo

If you explain your situation and put it nicely it doesn't have to be entitled, especially if a lot of time has passed since regular students have been able to enroll. Never hurts to ask imo

Was your class full when you asked your professor to give you access to the course?

Was your class full when you asked your professor to give you access to the course?
Nope. The people in charge of course access told me I had to wait two weeks before classes started to request access; I emailed the professor two months beforehand and he let me in before it filled up. Again, it could be different between universities and professors but it never hurts to try. In fact I'm having trouble enrolling in another course right now, so I'm probably gonna just ask the professor to give me access on the first day of class instead of dealing with bureaucrats. There are always ways around things