1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Registering for DAT

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by vlct0ria, Jan 6, 2009.

1. vlct0ria

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    When I register, should I just indicate the 5 freebie schools I want my scores sent to, and send to the others later...or should I just go ahead and check off all the schools I am interested in? I've been making a list of schools I like based on price, location, and stats similar to mine and I have about 18...is that overkill?

Also...do I have to schedule my testing appointment date within a certain period of time after being notified by mail that I am eligible? ie) I am not taking the DAT until summer, but if I can get the eligibility thing over with now, why not?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gentile1225

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    in my opinion i would say only send to the 5 they allot for you now, or none for that matter. i took my first dat in september and got double 18's, but i wanted by scores to be a little more competitive so im taking them again soon. i made the mistake by sending my scores to 13 schools and now that im taking it again i wish i wouldnt have because, if you take the dats more than once, and you dont send your first scores out, the schools you apply to will only see that you have taken it more than once. they will not see your scores for the first test or which ever one you decide not to send them.

so lets say, you do not as good the second time, it would not be very favorable for you if these schools see you went down if they have your first scores? it might sound confusing.

also, you can choose not to send your scores out at all until you take the test. the problem here is that if you dont choose the schools when you schedule the test, you will have to pay $40 (i think) for each school you decide to send them too once youve taken the test.

when you are approved to schedule the test, i think you have schedule the test date and then you could always move it back if you need to, but you have to pay $25 now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. smurf528

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    if you're ready for the exam then send it to the schools. If you're scared that you won't do well then just send it to 5 schools. I don't think it will hurt you at all. If you got a higher score the second time around it will show that you got a better understanding of the material. It won't be good if your score decreased though.