Regular scores breakdown 21AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cherryberry5024

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for the past 2 weeks or so I've been reading all the DAT breakdowns and they've both given me hope as well as a ridiculous sense of dread that I'm not going to be anywhere near there. So I just wanted to give out my 2cents for those in between-ers. I studied for around 4 weeks. The first week I took a diagnostic to see where I was before I even started. And from there the first 2 weeks were spent studying while the last 2 weeks were hard core cramming and memorizing.

21AA/20TS/23Bio/20GC/17OC/25RC/19QR/23PAT

First diagnostic: 16TS/21BIO/13GC/14OC/19RC/18QR/18PAT
2007 test: 19AA/18TS/18Bio/16GC/21OC/18RC/21QR/19PAT
2009 test: 19TS/19Bio/18GC/17OC/20RC/didn't even try QR/19PAT

BIO: My bio background is actually pretty strong. I've taken AP bio and IB bio as well as being a Bio major, I've pretty much had bio classes every year since high school. I actually used princeton's DAT review guide for much of my bio studying. I actually dont know why people dont talk about it? I thought it was ridiculously helpful for condensing all the information down. and ps. I've had to study cliffs for my AP test. That thing was so dense and dry. And it actually has a lot of information you really didn't need. So I read through all the chapters from the bio section of Princeton and made sure to write out all of the phylums chart as well as important flow charts for the body systems. I also went through all of the bio questions from DAT destroyer. DAT DESTROYER IS A MUST!! seriously, get it. Holy grail and all that. Some questions were literally word for word from destroyer. The actual test was 95% broad questions. (lots of reproductive system, hereditary, and some on phylums) the other 5 questions just blew my mind. SOOOO random so I cut my losses on those and just moved on.

Gen Chem: I struggle a lot with chemistry. I just can't visualize it? IDK, either way, I knew I needed to do something because Chem was my weakest spot. and i'm a terrible auditory listener so Chad's and Mikes videos just didn't help. I fell asleep every time I tried to watch one. When I was trying to actively listen and take notes 1 video took me close to an hour. I gave up on that pretty fast and just decided to go through all of DAT destroyer, making sure to write down all of the trends and formulas and general concepts I saw. I went through it all all once trying to answer questions and then going back and checking answers. Even if I got something right, I would make sure to look at the answer because DAT destroyer always gives little bits of trends for each answer. The actual test was pretty broad and definitely not as heavy calculator emphasis. The math is soooo much easier. but the general concepts are pretty much identical. There was a buffer question that was straight up word for word from Destroyer. some stoichiometry and entropy questions.

O-Chem: Same thing as the gen chem. I also wrote out all of the road maps. and memorized those. I was running out of time for this section because I just got caught up for some of the gen chem questions that I knew how to do but just took me a while. I really wish I did this section first and then the gen chem section. But there were like 5 or 6 reaction questions. very recognizable ones too. I just rushed through this too much.

RC: I just did one practice test for this one, my very fist diagnostic test. The interface was being weird tho so I just didn't even feel like doing it again. I'm actually a little disappointed because the questions were suuuppeerrrr straight forward and I was expecting a higher score. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the questions are in order of the passage! I did not know this! The first passage I read through quickly and highlighted the crap out of it and then I noticed the questions were in order so for the next two passages I just did them in order.

QR: I rushed on this so bad. I finished all the questions but I knew I messed up for some of them. There were a lot of weird statement one and statement two which one is enough to answer the question??? Idk it was weird. Most of it was algebra, some straight forward, some not so much. Some just took a crap ton of time.

PAT: This was a pleasant surprise. My strengths are angle-ranking, hole punching, cube counting, TFE while I hated folding and Keyholes. Luckily the first four were pretty straight forward.I read on here that some people were trying to line count for TFE and that works on the 2007 and 2009 practice test but it legit doesn't for the real test, don't even try it. Some of the hole punches were weird ass folds but just took a couple more seconds. I knew it would be better for me to spend those couple seconds on this rather than try to rush through them, get them wrong and just use those seconds to stare at the keyholes where I'm more likely to get them wrong anyway. the folding wasn't actually too bad. but the KEYHOLES. THEY WERE THE WORST. I don't even know. like weird alien space ships or rocks or just something. so odd.

But overall, I'm quite satisfied with my scores. I know I could've done more for some of the sections and my scores are definitely not the best on here but I just wanted to put them out there and hope someone can take something away from this. I was scared from the results from my practice tests but I just wanted to push through anyway and I'm glad I did. Ps. I don't know why people don't talk about this but the DAT mastery app is AMAZING! idk where most of these questions are but they're pretty accurate to the DAT and the little mnemonics section they provide is awesome. I used to just flip through those questions whenever I didn't feel like full on studying but I had time to kill.
Anyway! hope that helped and good luck for everyone else taking the test!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
So for the past 2 weeks or so I've been reading all the DAT breakdowns and they've both given me hope as well as a ridiculous sense of dread that I'm not going to be anywhere near there. So I just wanted to give out my 2cents for those in between-ers. I studied for around 4 weeks. The first week I took a diagnostic to see where I was before I even started. And from there the first 2 weeks were spent studying while the last 2 weeks were hard core cramming and memorizing.

BIO: My bio background is actually pretty strong. I've taken AP bio and IB bio as well as being a Bio major, I've pretty much had bio classes every year since high school. I actually used princeton's DAT review guide for much of my bio studying. I actually dont know why people dont talk about it? I thought it was ridiculously helpful for condensing all the information down. and ps. I've had to study cliffs for my AP test. That thing was so dense and dry. And it actually has a lot of information you really didn't need. So I read through all the chapters from the bio section of Princeton and made sure to write out all of the phylums chart as well as important flow charts for the body systems. I also went through all of the bio questions from DAT destroyer. DAT DESTROYER IS A MUST!! seriously, get it. Holy grail and all that. Some questions were literally word for word from destroyer. The actual test was 95% broad questions. (lots of reproductive system, hereditary, and some on phylums) the other 5 questions just blew my mind. SOOOO random so I cut my losses on those and just moved on.

Gen Chem: I struggle a lot with chemistry. I just can't visualize it? IDK, either way, I knew I needed to do something because Chem was my weakest spot. and i'm a terrible auditory listener so Chad's and Mikes videos just didn't help. I fell asleep every time I tried to watch one. When I was trying to actively listen and take notes 1 video took me close to an hour. I gave up on that pretty fast and just decided to go through all of DAT destroyer, making sure to write down all of the trends and formulas and general concepts I saw. I went through it all all once trying to answer questions and then going back and checking answers. Even if I got something right, I would make sure to look at the answer because DAT destroyer always gives little bits of trends for each answer. The actual test was pretty broad and definitely not as heavy calculator emphasis. The math is soooo much easier. but the general concepts are pretty much identical. There was a buffer question that was straight up word for word from Destroyer. some stoichiometry and entropy questions.

O-Chem: Same thing as the gen chem. I also wrote out all of the road maps. and memorized those. I was running out of time for this section because I just got caught up for some of the gen chem questions that I knew how to do but just took me a while. I really wish I did this section first and then the gen chem section. But there were like 5 or 6 reaction questions. very recognizable ones too. I just rushed through this too much.

RC: I just did one practice test for this one, my very fist diagnostic test. The interface was being weird tho so I just didn't even feel like doing it again. I'm actually a little disappointed because the questions were suuuppeerrrr straight forward and I was expecting a higher score. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the questions are in order of the passage! I did not know this! The first passage I read through quickly and highlighted the crap out of it and then I noticed the questions were in order so for the next two passages I just did them in order.

QR: I rushed on this so bad. I finished all the questions but I knew I messed up for some of them. There were a lot of weird statement one and statement two which one is enough to answer the question??? Idk it was weird. Most of it was algebra, some straight forward, some not so much. Some just took a crap ton of time.

PAT: This was a pleasant surprise. My strengths are angle-ranking, hole punching, cube counting, TFE while I hated folding and Keyholes. Luckily the first four were pretty straight forward.I read on here that some people were trying to line count for TFE and that works on the 2007 and 2009 practice test but it legit doesn't for the real test, don't even try it. Some of the hole punches were weird ass folds but just took a couple more seconds. I knew it would be better for me to spend those couple seconds on this rather than try to rush through them, get them wrong and just use those seconds to stare at the keyholes where I'm more likely to get them wrong anyway. the folding wasn't actually too bad. but the KEYHOLES. THEY WERE THE WORST. I don't even know. like weird alien space ships or rocks or just something. so odd.

But overall, I'm quite satisfied with my scores. I know I could've done more for some of the sections and my scores are definitely not the best on here but I just wanted to put them out there and hope someone can take something away from this. I was scared from the results from my practice tests but I just wanted to push through anyway and I'm glad I did. Ps. I don't know why people don't talk about this but the DAT mastery app is AMAZING! idk where most of these questions are but they're pretty accurate to the DAT and the little mnemonics section they provide is awesome. I used to just flip through those questions whenever I didn't feel like full on studying but I had time to kill.

Congratulations!! Very nice scores..you can't compare yourself to a few scores posted on SDN that are higher than yours. I have worked with thousands of students through the years and most students score in your range. You have an excellent opportunity for interviews and acceptance.

Wishing you the best!

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
@artist2022 Thank you so much! most of the questions I did (which were mostly bio and PAT) on Mastery seemed complete and the like. and I did get most of them wrong but I made sure to really read the answers since they provide so much information. And I really do need to check for the cut off for that. Thank you for letting me know! I didn't realize they do section cut off :dead:

@orgoman22 Thank you! you're book has absolutely saved my butt in the chem sections!! (I know it doesn't look like it for ochem, but it's still a drastic improvement from where I started and I'm still grateful). :))

Members don't see this ad :)
how similar is difficulty were each of the sections in comparison to the bootcamp tests? and how were you scoring on those

a 21 is not a regular score. It is a fantastic score. Congratulations.

Reactions: 1 users

Congrats on the scores!!!!! Great breakdown!!!! If you have any questions about applying, feel free to message me.

@mahveen I actually didn't use bootcamp at all so I'm afraid I can't help you there. I used the Princeton test as a diagnostic and then I did the 2007 and 2009 ADA tests.

@artist2022 GPA is a 3.93. I think I have a good chance of getting an interview at the least. For my study schedule it was mainly just reading a chapter for Bio and then 50 questions of Gen chem and 50 questions of Orgo per day. the next day would be 50 questions Bio and then just going over concepts for chem that day. My studying was chem heavy because I suck at chem. I would also focus on a section of the PAT per day. Just going over tips and tricks and questions. I didn't do much for RC or RQ.

@artist2022 I know, it's sounds like blasphemy if you don't use bootcamp loll. Butttt the only thing is that I'm good at visualizing? I was an art student for 4 years loll so I think that kinda helped a lot. And practice. I just did questions on DAT mastery, 2007 and 2009 tests, just some random questions I found online and the princeton sections too. The best thing I can say is to know exactly what your strengths are and to work the sections in that order. Don't even attempt keyholes first. I did angle ranking, cube counting, hole punching, TFE, folding, and keyholes in that order. I knew the last two were gonna be super hard so I made sure to be careful and spend a little extra time on my strengths to make sure I wasn't making careless mistakes. Folding and Keyholes are just a tossup between really hard ones where I just took my best guess and some straight forward ones where you just have to follow the largest shape/pattern and do some aggressive elimination. IDK where I learnt it but always use your answer choices to help you out. You don't need to get the perfect answer as long as you can prove all the other ones wrong. :clap:

So true, that last sentence. Angle ranking and keyholes are my weaknesses, you listed angles first so I'm assuming it's a strength, any tips for that? Were they not that hard on the real thing?
Also, side note: Bottom left of a post there are options to Like, Quote, and Reply, just in case you didn't know; can be very helpful for you in the other forum maybe :) Thank you for your help btw!!!
Ooohhh! This is my first post and I just signed up a I think a month ago so I'm quite new here, thank you for letting me know! For angle ranking always use your answer choices, they will usually only make you do 2 comparisons to get to the answer. Usually the choices are between 2 angles for the smallest angle or largest angle. Use that and only look at the two angles given. Sometimes it's easy to tell but otherwise try to compare the angle to a right angle since the angles are close to right angles than they are to being straight lines or very acute angles. For acute angles the pixels at the axis works really well, especially on the test. The thicker the vertex is the smaller the angle. Another trick I picked up from a random boot camp video on YouTube i think? Is the lean back and just let your eyes shift back and forth between the two images rapidly. You somehow get a feeling that one is larger or smaller. It gets easier with practice. Also try imagining an 180* or 90* angle and compare the angles against that. Like how much of a difference to find out which is closer or farther from the parent angle. I hope that helps!!