Regulations for Non-Prescription Samples for patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Blunt Dissection

"Keep poking until it's out."
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured this would be a good section. I was wondering if there were any legal rules for a non-free clinic practice and receiving+giving non-prescription samples such as lotions, moisturizers, sunscreens etc. I tried to do a google search and only came up with FDA rules for prescription samples given to free clinics. If someone has any insight on this or knows where to look/who to call, I'd appreciate the info!
 
AFAIK, there aren't any Federal statues that would apply. Check with your state, as well as your employer (if applicable) for relevant state laws and/or facility policies related to samples.

We keep samples of non-controlled drugs in our office. Other than checking expiration dates, we don't have to do any other record-keeping (e.g., recording lot numbers, etc.) Some of the local health systems have done away with samples, however, as a facility policy.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK, there aren't any Federal statues that would apply. Check with your state, as well as your employer (if applicable) for relevant state laws and/or facility policies related to samples.

We keep samples of non-controlled drugs in our office. Other than checking expiration dates, we don't have to do any other record-keeping (e.g., recording lot numbers, etc.) Some of the local health systems have done away with samples, however, as a facility policy.

Thank you for the input! It's such a difficult area to navigate because there's public academic hospitals/clinics, private academic hospitals/clinics, free clinics, etc. I'll see if there's an institutional policy in place at my own clinic and see where I can go from there!