Rei

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arthrodisiac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about going into ob, but im really only interested in rei, maybe urogyn. How difficult is it to get into these subspecialties? what steps should someone take starting in ms3 to get into one of these fields? are there specific residencies i should apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

I advise anyone to not go into a specialty with the idea that you will get the fellowship you want. If you want REI then you need to think about the fact that if you do not get it, would you be happy practicing general Ob/Gyn? I am not saying that you will not get your fellowship, but REI and Urogyn are very competitive and you must be willing to accept the fact that you may not get in. I like looking at the entire picture. I have a friend that went into OB with no intention of practicing general Ob/Gyn and he wanted REI as well. After 2 years of Ob residency he was miserable and transferred into an ER residency. If you want REI or Urogyn then go into OB and work your tail off. Do a ton of research and get to know everyone in the field. GO to every conference and meet people, this is what will land you the fellowship you want. I am no expert but just saying what I have learned from friends and family in the business. Good Luck to you.