Rejected from research opportunity? send followup?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oncie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to send up a follow up email to a researcher. I was rejected from a great research opportunity. Is it wise to send up a follow up email? I was gonna basically beg for the position, I really don't have anything to lose.

What should I say in the email?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, find another PI. There should be hundreds of them.

Nope, find another PI. There should be hundreds of them.
I really wanted to work with her. She's great to talk to and is very knowledgeable, and the projects the PI was doing fit my current interests. Sucks that I didn't take the interview I had with her seriously :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I really wanted to work with her. She's great to talk to and is very knowledgeable, and the projects the PI was doing fit my current interests. Sucks that I didn't take the interview I had with her seriously :(

You didn't take the interview seriously and now want to beg her for the position after you were rejected? Kids these days

Reactions: 9 users

Honestly, move on. It's a lost opportunity, and it hurts when a PI doesn't want you to work with them, but these things are pretty firm. Find someone else.

It sounds like it was a learning experience even though it didn't work out. Maturity is important in this field.

Reactions: 1 user
Disagree with everyone else here, no harm really in sending an email. Don't "beg," but you can say something like "Thank you for considering me for the position. I am still very interested in working with you, perhaps at a future time, blah blah..."