Rejected from research opportunity? send followup?

Oncie

2+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2015
I wanted to send up a follow up email to a researcher. I was rejected from a great research opportunity. Is it wise to send up a follow up email? I was gonna basically beg for the position, I really don't have anything to lose.

What should I say in the email?

OP
Oncie

Oncie

2+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2015
Nope, find another PI. There should be hundreds of them.
I really wanted to work with her. She's great to talk to and is very knowledgeable, and the projects the PI was doing fit my current interests. Sucks that I didn't take the interview I had with her seriously :(

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I really wanted to work with her. She's great to talk to and is very knowledgeable, and the projects the PI was doing fit my current interests. Sucks that I didn't take the interview I had with her seriously :(
You didn't take the interview seriously and now want to beg her for the position after you were rejected? Kids these days

bearintraining

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2011
OH
Status
Medical Student, Post Doc
Honestly, move on. It's a lost opportunity, and it hurts when a PI doesn't want you to work with them, but these things are pretty firm. Find someone else.

Doug Underhill

5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2011
The South
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
It sounds like it was a learning experience even though it didn't work out. Maturity is important in this field.

Reactions: Goro
Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Disagree with everyone else here, no harm really in sending an email. Don't "beg," but you can say something like "Thank you for considering me for the position. I am still very interested in working with you, perhaps at a future time, blah blah..."

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Reactions: md-2020