Rejected from UW - Reapply Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaye1der

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sGPA 3.4
oGPA 3.7
nsGPA 3.9

DAT
PAT: 18
QR: 19
RC: 19
GC: 26
OC: 30
BS: 21

Do you think I should retake DAT? How does UW deal with retake? Do they take the highest score of each section or only look at the latest scores? I really want to get 20+ on every section.

Also, do I need to submit new letter of recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this the only school that you applied to? If so, that's a bad idea. Apply to more schools. If you want to reapply you have to redo your AADSAS application next year unless UW has some special application. I would ask the people who wrote you letters to save them so they can resubmit them in the next cycle. Is BS basic science or biological science? If you have a 21 in bio that seems good to me. I don't think the QR section matters much and 19 is good in that anyways. Your pat is a little low, but still is not that bad. Maybe try to raise your science gpa a bit and show that you can do better than a 3.4. Also, do you have anything besides numbers like community service or sports?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've meet three people who have gotten into this school with lesser stats than you in this cycle and the last. Maybe it was your interview or a lack of exposure to dentistry? To me your GPA + DAT seem fine (after checking the website it seems very competitive). Call the school and find out what went wrong.

Hey , sorry about the rejection. You have great scores and be rest assured that you are not a failure because UW rejected your app.
Just a quick question, did they give you an interview at all? Did you submit a supplemental? When were you rejected?
I wish you the very best

Is this the only school that you applied to? If so, that's a bad idea. Apply to more schools. If you want to reapply you have to redo your AADSAS application next year unless UW has some special application. I would ask the people who wrote you letters to save them so they can resubmit them in the next cycle. Is BS basic science or biological science? If you have a 21 in bio that seems good to me. I don't think the QR section matters much and 19 is good in that anyways. Your pat is a little low, but still is not that bad. Maybe try to raise your science gpa a bit and show that you can do better than a 3.4. Also, do you have anything besides numbers like community service or sports?

Should I try to get everything 20+. I think it will look better. I have done lots of volunteer work, have research experience and good amount of extracurricular actvities.

Hey , sorry about the rejection. You have great scores and be rest assured that you are not a failure because UW rejected your app.
Just a quick question, did they give you an interview at all? Did you submit a supplemental? When were you rejected?
I wish you the very best

I got an interview. My interview went okay, but not great. The Assoc Dean called me and let me know that my app and everything else is solid. She said that there are many qualified applicants and couldn't admitt all of 150 people they interviewed. She told me to show more interest in dentistry bc everything is solid. But I just though that since my score is in such a wide range, I should bump those three sections up above 20.

I don't think that you should retake it. Your scores are quite solid, and retaking it might do you more harm than good. How can you improve on a 26 (GC) and 30 (OC)?

You got an interview, which means that it was NOT your DAT or GPA that is holding you back. It is probably the interview that was your downfall. You should follow the Associate Dean's advice. Find out more about dentistry by volunteering at a dental clinic or by shadowing more dentists.

It is more than just a number game at the UW SOD. Yes, you need to have decent GPA and DAT scores, but you must also show leadership and the will to make a difference in the community in terms of oral health.

As for reapplying to UW, I believe that you will need two new LORs.

Good luck!

Should I try to get everything 20+. I think it will look better. I have done lots of volunteer work, have research experience and good amount of extracurricular actvities.

I don't think that you should retake it. Your scores are quite solid, and retaking it might do you more harm than good. How can you improve on a 26 (GC) and 30 (OC)?

You got an interview, which means that it was NOT your DAT or GPA that is holding you back. It is probably the interview that was your downfall. You should follow the Associate Dean's advice. Find out more about dentistry by volunteering at a dental clinic or by shadowing more dentists.

It is more than just a number game at the UW SOD. Yes, you need to have decent GPA and DAT scores, but you must also show leadership and the will to make a difference in the community in terms of oral health.

Good luck!

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to volunteer at a dental clinic next month, attend their workshop and take a pre-dental course at UW. Hope this will help :)

Good luck!

Do you really need new LOR every time you reapply? What if you're out of college, how would you get new letters from profs.

My buddy applied to UW and got in, he had a 21 DAT and a 3.6 Cumulative GPA (he was in-state too). One thing that he said that set him apart from the group was that he Volunteered with the Oral Health Coalition of Whatcom County up here in Bellingham. The adcom actually knew about the Oral Health Coalition and she knew some of the prominent members of the organization. She went on about how great the Whatcom Health Oral Coalition was and asked him about his experiences with the organization, and two weeks after his interview he received a phone call saying that he got in.

If I were you I would check out the Oral Health Coalition in your area and volunteer with them. They are always looking for volunteers and its a fun experience, my Pre-dental club works closely with them, in February we are helping organize Sealant Day in which underprivileged children can get free sealants, and some dental work. If you want you can PM me and I can get you my buddy's e-mail and he can talk to you about his experience with his UW interview.

Good Luck!