Rejected post-interview - help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DSwim

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that my interview went well, but I found out last week that I was rejected... so I'm a bit disappointed, to say the least. :( Does anyone have any insight into how much the interview is weighted in the admissions process? Any suggestions/advice moving forward? I'm finding this process to be quite the emotional roller coaster. :/

Members don't see this ad.

Keep pressing on! You got an II which means you were competitive. I haven't got any yet (at this point it's most likely silent rejections), but I want to be a doctor so I am going to keep trying. Sorry I couldn't be of much help, but thought I should share that with you.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought that my interview went well, but I found out last week that I was rejected... so I'm a bit disappointed, to say the least. :( Does anyone have any insight into how much the interview is weighted in the admissions process? Any suggestions/advice moving forward? I'm finding this process to be quite the emotional roller coaster. :/

Once you receive an II, the interview is the single most influential factor in whether or not an acceptance is offered. Question for you: was this your first or only interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you receive an II, the interview is the single most influential factor in whether or not an acceptance is offered. Question for you: was this your first or only interview?

First, but I came out of it thinking it went well, so I was and still am a bit disappointed and discouraged :/

Last edited:
First, but I came out of it thinking it went well, so I was and still am a bit disappointed and discouraged :/

I think your feelings are justified; it's belittling to get burned by an interview. Don't let it destroy your motivation if you really aspire to practice medicine. Identify your interviewing weaknesses, prepare yourself to better respond to questions and ensure that those interviewing you are able to depict who you truly are as a person/ applicant.

Don't sweat it. Most interviews go well but don't get an acceptance. If you look under the interview feedback section, most people score their interview around an 8 and give a 90% positive rating. I'm sure most people get more rejections than acceptances but that's just because most schools have 3-4x more interviews than seats. Hell the DO I shadowed got 5 interviews and only 1 acceptance.

You have more than one interview so you are competitive, forget this school and prepare for the next. Most of the adcoms here say they have students that interview well but get rejected all the time.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviews make or break candidates.

At the end of the cycle, see if you can get feedback from the admissions dean on your rejection. NOTE: they will not tell you if you were a lousy interviewer.

Start your Plan B for reapplication. Fix weak spots in your app.

Get more interview practice.

Interviews make or break candidates.

At the end of the cycle, see if you can get feedback from the admissions dean on your rejection. NOTE: they will not tell you if you were a lousy interviewer.

Start your Plan B for reapplication. Fix weak spots in your app.

Get more interview practice.

When would you go about seeking feedback, and how do you go about doing so? Would you call or email? What do they generally say in these feedback sessions? Thanks so much in advance! :)

At thte end of the Admissions cycle, call up the Dean of Admissions. No flunkies, either. Ask for feedback, not advice or consulting.

When would you go about seeking feedback, and how do you go about doing so? Would you call or email? What do they generally say in these feedback sessions? Thanks so much in advance! :)

At thte end of the Admissions cycle, call up the Dean of Admissions. No flunkies, either. Ask for feedback, not advice or consulting.
And don't be combative. Don't ask, "Why didn't I get in?" or "What did I do wrong?"

Thanks for the info! So in March/April or in August?