Rejected with positive feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homer21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if those of you who have been rejected have contacted the admissions of that particular school and have requested feedback about your application. If so, do most schools seem to be willing to provide feedback or do most schools say they don't have the time or resources to do that. Please list any schools that were willing to provide positive feedback. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if those of you who have been rejected have contacted the admissions of that particular school and have requested feedback about your application. If so, do most schools seem to be willing to provide feedback or do most schools say they don't have the time or resources to do that. Please list any schools that were willing to provide positive feedback. Thanks

I did this last year after applying, interviewing and then getting a rejection. The school actually set up a time for me to come in and meet with one of the admissions counselors who went over my application with me. She gave me some feedback about my interviews and what interviewers overall thought of me... She told me specifics about where my application fell short in comparison to other applicants. If I hadn't done this, I would have had no idea that I was relatively low clinical exposure... I highly recommend you contact the admissions folks and see if they offer any type of post-application counseling.

Thank You, It sounds like they were very helpful. What school was that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got feedback also after I was waitlisted last year. Like the above poster, they mentioned weaknesses in my app that I was well aware of (like my MCAT), but also brought up something that I hadn't even thought was an issue (I had over 100 volunteer hours, but they were all at one place). In addition to helping me boost my app for the next year, seeking out their advance helped me in and of itself. I work with 3 docs that have spent time on the ad com at my state school. 2 of them asked if I had sought feedback from the school, because the school apparently keeps track of which applicants do so, and I was told that they use it as a sign of our dedication and continued interest in getting into their school the next time around. Obviously it may not be the same at every school, but it certainly can't hurt to try!

This was at the University Of Mississippi SOM.