PolarBear21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
It feels so awful because I've wanted to go to a pharm school for so long and was so desperate to get into just one. So it feels bad that I have to say no to a pharmacy school that has accepted me.

How do you go about writing this letter, what kind of things do you say? I don't want to sound harsh, and its a really difficult decision. I understand of course they dont' care too much, they probably have like 1000 people waiting behind me, but I don't want to sound unnapreciative I suppose.

OasisDwlr

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2006
San Francisco
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
This is what I sent in when the school didn't provide a form to be sent in:

To whom it may concern,

I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your offer of admission to the XXX University School of Pharmacy for the 2007-2008 school year.

I thank you for your consideration and the time spent evaluating my application.

Best Regards,

XXXX

fmbzp5

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I guess a little cartoon image of Cartman saying "Screw you guys I'm going home" is out of the question then?

I don't think it is hard to just politely decline their invitation and thank them for the consideration and honor of the offer

About the Ads

rxlynn

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
It feels so awful because I've wanted to go to a pharm school for so long and was so desperate to get into just one. So it feels bad that I have to say no to a pharmacy school that has accepted me.

How do you go about writing this letter, what kind of things do you say? I don't want to sound harsh, and its a really difficult decision. I understand of course they dont' care too much, they probably have like 1000 people waiting behind me, but I don't want to sound unnapreciative I suppose.
If you do a search in the archives, there was a great post about this time last year with a sample letter. I revised it slightly when I turned down a school, but it did include something like I was very honored to have been admitted, and I was sure there would be another deserving student waiting for the seat...

I know what you mean though - you've been working towards this for so long, it feels really strange to tell somebody no thanks after all. And, in my case I have already paid deposit money that I was giving up!

Glowwyrm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
I turned down some interviews. Like the other poster said, I thanked them and let them know I would be attending another school of pharmacy. Each of them emailed me back and wished me best of luck at my other school. They were all very nice and even thanked me for letting them know.

Swanchick84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Hey Polarbear,

You can follow my format. I revised mine after reading a post I found last year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear __________,

Thank you for your interest in my application to _________. I sincerely appreciate your time and consideration in my review. I am writing to let you know that I have received an acceptance from another school and will confirm that acceptance instead. I understand that you have a highly competitive pool of applicants at __________ and I would like to give my spot to another candidate.

Thank you again for your consideration.

Kind Regards,
________

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Hey Polarbear,

You can follow my format. I revised mine after reading a post I found last year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear __________,

Thank you for your interest in my application to _________. I sincerely appreciate your time and consideration in my review. I am writing to let you know that I have received an acceptance from another school and will confirm that acceptance instead. I understand that you have a highly competitive pool of applicants at __________ and I would like to give my spot to
Farnercyst.

Thank you again for your consideration.

Kind Regards,

________

PolarBear21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Thanks for the help guys, just mailed it in about an hour ago

PolarBear21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Who got rejected? LLU or Touro, or someone else?

Oh I just got your joke above.. I was wondering why you quoted Swanchick :laugh:

I really didn't like doing it, but I had to say no to LLU, I would really want to go there but I already paid my deposit for Touro and well.. I haven't heard from USC/Western/UOP yet so I didn't want to put down another deposit before hearing from my current top 3 choices. It was a tough choice though...

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Oh I just got your joke above.. I was wondering why you quoted Swanchick :laugh:

I really didn't like doing it, but I had to say no to LLU, I would really want to go there but I already paid my deposit for Touro and well.. I haven't heard from USC/Western/UOP yet so I didn't want to put down another deposit before hearing from my current top 3 choices. It was a tough choice though...

I haven't heard from LLU yet. Did you put my name in the letter ?:D Maybe I'll get a call now.:clap:

crystalpink

Bunny lover
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Waaaaaa....I missed this good news. XD
I want Polarbear's spot, too. :D
Farmercyst, if you change your mind, would you please give Polar's spot to me? :laugh:

fmbzp5

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Well polarbear I am glad you will be attending school. The original message made me think you got in but just couldn't go period. Congrats and the best of luck to you :D

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Waaaaaa....I missed this good news. XD
I want Polarbear's spot, too. :D
Farmercyst, if you change your mind, would you please give Polar's spot to me? :laugh:

Tell you what, if I get in to OSU, USC, Western or LLU, and then I get a second acceptance letter to another school later I'll see if they'll let you take my place at the other school. (My number one choice would be the one that accepts me, # 2-4 would be the ones that don't:p )

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.