rejection appeals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calipremed80

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently (about a week ago) appealed a post-secondary rejection. Has anybody had experience with this process that can maybe tell me how long it takes before I should expect to hear a reply? Should I be calling to follow up periodically or will they contact me with their decision?

Members don't see this ad.

To tell you the truth, I didn't even know that was possible nor do I think you have a very good chance of getting their decision overturned (sorry to be frank, but you didn't even get an interview). I would think, however, that if they were to change their mind and offer you an interview, it would probably be within a month or so. But generally speaking, ADCOM offices are rather busy this time of year.

It all depends on how strong your letter of appeal was. It could take just a few days or it could take months, but the thing is, it hardly ever works.

I'm thinking about appealing the ucsd rejection, but not keeping my hopes up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it also depends on the school a whole bunch.

did anyone have success or know someone who had success appealing any of the California schools' rejections either this year or last year?

On what legal basis do you mount an appeal of a rejection? Is there a strong reason or is it simply because you did not like the outcome of the AdCom's decision? Was there an illegal interview conducted? ????

Coops

some of the UCs dont even have a formal appeals process for their undergraduate institutions....

and i have seen nothing on the websites to appeal a rejection decision.

the only time i heard of anything like this....

was for undergrad...my friend was accepted to a school but sr year he slacked and got Cs and Ds not sure if he got any Fs. But the school took back the acceptance.

they eventually went to court and said he needed to retake the classes and get all As if he really wanted to go back.

but at least he got an acceptance first...

i cant see this coming to any type of fruition. especially since they will most likely put your concerns after the applications they havent even reviewed yet to make sure they give everyone a decision before they get to your rejection appeals.

Originally posted by calipremed80
I recently (about a week ago) appealed a post-secondary rejection. Has anybody had experience with this process that can maybe tell me how long it takes before I should expect to hear a reply? Should I be calling to follow up periodically or will they contact me with their decision?

I was in a similar situation but I don't know whether this would help. I am originally from Missouri but now am an Idaho resident. I applied to the University of Missorui-Columbia and was rejected pre-secondary by email. I was very shocked because they have pretty low MCAT/GPA and I had counted on my application being competitive there (Idaho has no med schools). In the email they invited us to call them so that we can talk over our application and understand why we were rejected. I took them up on the offer and it turns out that the only reason I was rejected pre-secondary was because I'm an ID resident and they accept "very few out-of-staters." The secretary urged me to write an email to the admissions coordinator explaining my "Missouri roots" and that I still had family in the area. In my email (September) I also made it clear that I did not apply to MU on a whimsy, that I liked their program, had friends in their med school and was serious about attending. I subsequently got the secondary (October), had an interview (December) and received an offer from them (January). My story is different in that I didn't intentionally set out to make an appeal but by their urging, ended up doing so. Maybe you should call the school and talk with someone who may be able to point you in the right direction on how to set about doing something like this. In any case, I think you need to have strong reasons for your appeal. Good Luck. :)

I would appeal if I feel that adcom overlooked something in my app, either because it was there but not emphasized, or it was not on the app at all (Forgot to do so , etc.)

Besides that, chance of successful appeal is probably very samll. The process is subjective, and a lot of times adcom will respect the opinions of the file reviewers, even if they can be a bit biased.

I wrote Rochester after I was rejected post secondary and they invited me for an interview.

just out of curiosity, how long did it take between the time you appealed and the time they invited you for an interview?

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
On what legal basis do you mount an appeal of a rejection? Is there a strong reason or is it simply because you did not like the outcome of the AdCom's decision? Was there an illegal interview conducted? ????

Coops

the basis of my appeal is that i really really really want to go to that school (it WAS my first choice). i included stuff that they didn't really ask about me in my application but i thought was important for them to know (EC stuff i've done), why i want to go there and why i think i'm qualified (my numbers are above their average and i have lots of ECs)

the basis of my appeal is that i really really really want to go to that school (it WAS my first choice). i included stuff that they didn't really ask about me in my application but i thought was important for them to know (EC stuff i've done), why i want to go there and why i think i'm qualified (my numbers are above their average and i have lots of ECs)

isnt this every single cali premed's reasoning for why they should have gotten accepted? :laugh:

No offense, but I think you jst have to live with the adcom's decision. Your appeal based on "I really relaly really want" to go there isn't quite gonna cut it. Many of us didn't get into our top choices even with better #'s than the averages...we just deal. that's part of the whole med school process.

I've known people at UCLA med school right now who appealed everything and got in. Outside of that, nope.