Rejection before MCAT Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

avr

I just got a rejection letter from Northwestern BEFORE they received my August MCAT scores (which were competitive, as is my gpa). Anyone had this problem?

Members don't see this ad.

That's weird. Did you get a secondary? They sent me a secondary with my crappy scores. I had a 7 in verbal. I retook it though. Haven't gotten rejected yet.

Very interesting and exceedingly weird. My August MCATs were 11V 8PS 10BS R, and my gpa is a 3.67. I'm gonna have to call them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh-- forgot to mention, no never got a secondary. Can I ask what your stats are? Thanks

They sent me a secondary with my last years MCAT scores of 26 total (V-7, P-8, B-11, Q). GPA 3.91, science GPA-3.83. Have alright recommendations, essay is alright I think. I retook the MCAT though, but they probably don't know the score yet...I still got a crappy 26(V-9, P-8, B-9, Q). You should definitely call them with your scores I don't understand why they didn't send you even a secondary.

This may not be entirely accurate, but I thought that I had read (or my premed advisor told me) that NW can be really picky about not waiting for August MCATs. Something along the lines of "applicants are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to take the April MCAT". I was under the impression that they didn't often wait for Aug. scores. *Disclaimer* - I could be wrong on this, just a thought.

ahh-- that may explain it. they're far from my first choice, so i may not follow up, but it was a little odd considering most other schools have sent a secondary (or nothing). the letter is misleading, "We have made a thorough review of your application." Not likely.

Yeah.. I've heard the same thing about NW's impatience. When I applied, I asked them if they thought I should have them wait on my August 2002 MCAT scores, or if they'd go ahead with my app using my August 2001 scores. They said that 1) they'd consider my application for a secondary using my August 2001 score, and 2) they'd consider both scores post-secondary. I was accepted to complete the secondary, but my app is incomplete according to the online status check.

This annoys me. For starters, I can't think of any other school that does this. Secondly, had I known this, I never would have bothered applying and spending the money. To bust one's ass studying for the MCAT and then have a school patently reject to even consider the results is just plain old unfair. If they don't want August MCATers they should just state that CLEARLY and we wouldn't bother applying and wasting the money. I suppose I'll tell them this as well. Grrrrrr....

Oi,

I got rejected from Loyola before my August Scores came in and rejected from VCU.

Though for Loyola, I think I got rejected cuz I put down that I was a women's advocate so I guess they took it as meaning "Pro Choice"

SHRUG :rolleyes:

in the msar it definitely leads you to believe that nw doesn't want you to take the august mcat.
i applied anyway though.

hey you guys, i was wondering if my fears are legitimate or if i'm letting them get the best of me... my amcas got verified BEFORE mcat scores were released and the secondaries started rolling in (via e-mail and snail mail). but the day that mcat scores were posted on aamc i got one secondary go-ahead and then nothing since :( i'm waiting on about 15 more - is it possible that they're reconsidering after receiving my mcat score? do schools get the scores right after they're released? don't they atleast want my money :confused: heh.

avr,

I was wondering... Did you definetly click the box on your AMCAS application that stated you were taking the August MCAT. A few people I know didn't click it last year by accident.

Most of all the schools hold applications of those people who click the August MCAT box and then review their applications after they recieve the updated scores.

I would call or email them and ask about it.

I also submitted my AMCAS before receiving my August score, and I did not choose to release my MCAT score on test day.

I just filled out the online score release option yesterday. I called AAMC today, and I was told the score will go out in 2-3 business days! So for those of you who chose to have your score released, your schools probably already have it, or will be receiving them this week. That is my conclusion.

Hope this helps.

you don't want to go there anyway... without michael jordan, the bulls are no fun... and chicago is just whack outside of basketball... i mean, do you WANT to freeze?

Rae-chill: are you sure AMCAS has transmittted your application? Unless anyone else knows any different, I'm under the impression many (if not most) schools aren't screening and I've gotten a huge number of secondaries. I think you've got an AMCAS problem.

Amy B: I'm pretty sure I checked the AMCAS Aug. score release date, but thanks for mentioning this and I'll double check.

As for Northwestern, I emailed them and they said I could appeal, so I will. They're not my first choice, but for the money I've spent, and the time I spent prepping for and retaking the MCAT, I want a legitimate review of my application.