Rejections :_(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

honeybee87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When do rejections first start coming out? Has anyone gotten any yet? Do schools reject you after they review your application or do they kind of put you to the start and reject you later on in the year?
 
I've had a school tell me that my application is "on hold for re-review"... Not sure if this is a "soft rejection" or if they really just haven't made up their minds yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When do rejections first start coming out? Has anyone gotten any yet? Do schools reject you after they review your application or do they kind of put you to the start and reject you later on in the year?

Some schools have sent out rejections. IIRC, VCU is one of them.

However, you're probably not going to get a load of rejections this early in the cycle unless you applied way out of your range to a school that screens or if you have multiple red flags on your application.
 
*Stares towards Los Angeles and Palo Alto with the burning fire of a thousand Elmos*

Edit: It is way to early in the cycle to even be considering silent rejections unless you had a terrible school list. Hard R’s are rolling on occasion this early, but rarely.
 
I think it’s the latter. Did they email you?
Nah, I just noticed that my status had been changed on the application portal to say that the Admissions Committee had completed their review but wanted to look at my app again later in the cycle before coming to a decision.
 
Nah, I just noticed that my status had been changed on the application portal to say that the Admissions Committee had completed their review but wanted to look at my app again later in the cycle before coming to a decision.

Isn't that really common though? I know one of my state schools explicitly states on their website that being put "on hold" should not be interpreted as a bad thing, that the majority of their matriculants get put "on hold" at some point in the cycle.
 
When do rejections first start coming out? Has anyone gotten any yet? Do schools reject you after they review your application or do they kind of put you to the start and reject you later on in the year?
Some reject right away. some mine you for money via secondaries, and then reject you, and others wait until the end of the app season. And some even never tell you anything.

This happens in faculty job searches as well. 20 years later, I'm still waiting to hear from CSU Long Beach!
 
Some reject right away. some mine you for money via secondaries, and then reject you, and others wait until the end of the app season. And some even never tell you anything.

This happens in faculty job searches as well. 20 years later, I'm still waiting to hear from CSU Long Beach!
But I mean, when they reject pre secondary , it's really only if your numbers are way off. I don't really see the point of not sending a secondary- you can't properly judge applicants w/o them? Or am I missing something.
Also: Did I mention my pre health advisor is a little obsessed with timing? Like she thinks being complete by labor day isn't good enough, and she does not. understand. the DO . cycle.timeline. She think sit's the same as MD.
Anyway she says it because her youngest son applied to med school in a recent cycle and was complete by Mid-Sept, and "Didn't even hear back from half of those schools."
And I'm sitting there like " That....may not be bc of when he was complete"

Anyway. That just came to mind.

Also, once primary is verified, what is the longest schools can take to send me a secondary? Assuming I'm not screened?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But I mean, when they reject pre secondary , it's really only if your numbers are way off. I don't really see the point of not sending a secondary- you can't properly judge applicants w/o them? Or am I missing something.
Also: Did I mention my pre health advisor is a little obsessed with timing? Like she thinks being complete by labor day isn't good enough, and she does not. understand. the DO . cycle.timeline. She think sit's the same as MD.
Anyway she says it because her youngest son applied to med school in a recent cycle and was complete by Mid-Sept, and "Didn't even hear back from half of those schools."
And I'm sitting there like " That....may not be bc of when he was complete"

Anyway. That just came to mind.

Also, once primary is verified, what is the longest schools can take to send me a secondary? Assuming I'm not screened?
People can get rejected pre-secondary from having really bad apps, despite having nice stats. Reasons would be
Badd essays
lack of ECs
bad school list
late app
bad LORs

Your advisor is yet another data point on the ***** advisor list. Get her to join SDN and we can teach her something.

She should also learn something about delaying gratification and do something really radical, list actually talk to the admissions deans in your states.

Have no idea what the answer would be to your last question, but my advice is that if you don't hear anything from schools by T-giving, then assume you're rejected and work on Plan B. Actually, one should ALWAYS be working on Plan B.
 
People can get rejected pre-secondary from having really bad apps, despite having nice stats. Reasons would be
Badd essays
lack of ECs
bad school list
late app
bad LORs

Your advisor is yet another data point on the ***** advisor list. Get her to join SDN and we can teach her something.

She should also learn something about delaying gratification and do something really radical, list actually talk to the admissions deans in your states.

Have no idea what the answer would be to your last question, but my advice is that if you don't hear anything from schools by T-giving, then assume you're rejected and work on Plan B. Actually, one should ALWAYS be working on Plan B.
She really isn't horrible.I'd actually say that's her only hangup. She did make a fuss about me not having a LOR from a doctor, but it's not like they won't make my packet w/o it- it's just something she felt I should have. And, I mean, her motivations are wholesome. She likely thought her son was a good applicant and shouldn't have been rejected. I'm kinda sad bc the previous pre health advisor was supposed to advise this year- totally brilliant guy, but he had to go on medical leave. Double bummed because I waited a whole year for my second class with him...and then he needs heart surgery 🙁 So we got this new person who is not as good. ( Not blaming the guy, I'm just generally sad).

I'm more talking about school that supposedly send a secondary automatically- like how long does that normally take? is what I was originally trying to say. I see that it's granular and outside of your expertise but I just wanna be clear I wasnt talking about schools that pre screen.
 
School Provided Advisors are obsolete in the age of SDN, imo. Maybe in the 90's they were more helpful, but no longer is one required or even necessary. More harm than good even. That's my opinion, though.
What committee letters tho? Have to speak with them, then.
 
School Provided Advisors are obsolete in the age of SDN, imo. Maybe in the 90's they were more helpful, but no longer is one required or even necessary. More harm than good even. That's my opinion, though.
Agreed. I haven't been back to see an advisor since my sophomore year when they said "I'm pretty sure no medical schools require biochemistry".
During undergrad I argued with probably a dozen classmates about this who had been corrupted by the prehealth office. It always ended with me saying "Fine, don't believe me, but for your own sake please look it up yourself!!!!!!!"
 
Agreed. I haven't been back to see an advisor since my sophomore year when they said "I'm pretty sure no medical schools require biochemistry".
During undergrad I argued with probably a dozen classmates about this who had been corrupted by the prehealth office. It always ended with me saying "Fine, don't believe me, but for your own sake please look it up yourself!!!!!!!"
There are so many people with warped views of the entire process due to misinformation such as what you describe.
 
What committee letters tho? Have to speak with them, then.
My UG's pre-health committee and advising are completely separate entities, and I imagine this is true at some other schools too.

But if you have to speak to them, then you have to.

Obviously people you know IRL that are adcoms/work in admissions would be the best bet
 
One of my advisors is usually quite nice and is very open about what they don't know or isn't sure of, but when they tried to tell me that submitting "just before the deadline was perfectly fine" I had to raise an eyebrow.

Just because an advisor is nice doesn't mean they can't be bad at giving advice.
 
One of my advisors is usually quite nice and is very open about what they don't know or isn't sure of, but when they tried to tell me that submitting "just before the deadline was perfectly fine" I had to raise an eyebrow.

Just because an advisor is nice doesn't mean they can't be bad at giving advice.
The road to rejection is paved with nice advisors
 
I've gotten 5 rejections so far out of 20 schools I applied to. One was because I had no ties to an in-state favored school (oof, my bad). Two were pre-secondary and two were post-secondary.