relationship between fellowship and job placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanj238

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to find jobs say in Cardiology in cities and states that you don't have connections to? Especially if you've come from a middle of the road program? Suppose I'm interested in working in one of the warmer areas- SC, Texas etc. Is it relatively harder to find a job there than if I were to train in those places? Would I be better off finding jobs in states with a small medical training foot print? How does one go about this?

What kinds of offers are most non-interventional cards getting these days in areas like Texas, SC, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

How hard is it to find jobs say in Cardiology in cities and states that you don't have connections to? Especially if you've come from a middle of the road program? Suppose I'm interested in working in one of the warmer areas- SC, Texas etc. Is it relatively harder to find a job there than if I were to train in those places? Would I be better off finding jobs in states with a small medical training foot print? How does one go about this?

What kinds of offers are most non-interventional cards getting these days in areas like Texas, SC, etc?

If you are an MS3, it will be at least another 7 years before you are looking for a job. Who knows what the market will look like? Stop worrying about income and lifestyle at this point in your career. Specialties go through cycles, and making a decision based on current trends is a poor choice. Nephro used to be pretty competitive, now they cant give the spots away. Cards will likely always do just fine, but you seem like a guy who wants to work a shift and go to the beach, not be on STEMI call.

The reality is that most people tend to settle down in the area around their fellowship.