Relationships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zigzager

Future Doctor :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess this goes more for the Med students to answer. How often do undergraduate relationships last through medschool and residency. Is it really similar to highschool relationships going into undergraduate school?

Members don't see this ad.

i met a doc yesterrday who married her college bf who she met during freshman year.......they went their separate ways after college (different areas of the same state) and ended up getting back together after he finished his program and she graduated medical school, and eventually got married and had kids. I dunno hw often that happens tho.

I guess this goes more for the Med students to answer. How often do undergraduate relationships last through medschool and residency. Is it really similar to highschool relationships going into undergraduate school?
No, it's not like high school relationships when you're 18 years old and will likely change considerably in college. Whether or not a relationship can continue in med school depends on a lot of factors- distance, what the other person does, how supportive/understanding they are, how strong your relationship is already, etc. A lot of people in my school came in with relationships and most have survived.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure of all the relevant circumstances, but I know my class has already experienced a pretty large amount of relationship attrition, including 2 engagements. One student supposedly dropped out due to problems with his marriage.

Regardless of how well you're doing, med school is going to be a monumental challenge. Your partner will probably resent you for your dramatic and sudden shift in lifestyle, and it's going to take a lot of effort and compromise on both your parts to make things work.

This is not the place to ask for advice on relationships or prospects on them. These kinds of things come up a lot and the general answer is "ur gunna phail, lulz!" This is great for info on applying, on numbers, on stats, but when it comes to emotional questions or non-traditional methods, you're better off using self-discovery as a tool to use.

This is not the place to ask for advice on relationships or prospects on them. These kinds of things come up a lot and the general answer is "ur gunna phail, lulz!" This is great for info on applying, on numbers, on stats, but when it comes to emotional questions or non-traditional methods, you're better off using self-discovery as a tool to use.
Fully disagree with you. It is nice to know if someone went through the same things as you, or is going through something similer. This forum is for imformation and making connections.

Fully disagree with you. It is nice to know if someone went through the same things as you, or is going through something similer. This forum is for imformation and making connections.
However the overwhelming majority of the replies to topics such as these are...not given with the intent of forming a connection.

while true, it is nice to hear of successful and unsuccessful relationships... gives one hope

ah you guys beat me to the punch

while true, it is nice to hear of successful and unsuccessful relationships... gives one hope

ah you guys beat me to the punch
I have become cynical towards the cynics. Carry on.

This is answer is out of line. You can ask whatever you want here, OP - you just may not find all of your answers.

I think this answer is a very personal question. It is highly dependent on your individual relationship and how supportive your significant other is. In my case, I have an extremely supportive fiance and, although I am acutely aware that our relationship (marriage by the time I start school) will have some hard times and require a lot of work - we will last. If you don't have that confidence going in, it probably won't work.

It's also very important that your significant other know the extent of your desires and what you want and need from them. We have talked a LOT about our expectations and what the other will need to offer in the future.

I was shadowing a doctor and he told me doctors and cops have the highest rates of divorce of any profession (not sure how valid this claim is though). food for thought...

a guy in my class is married with 2 kids and says med school takes almost all his time from his fam, but his wife is UNDERSTANDING and compromising. A guy here was engaged and not even 2 months into his first year, she broke up with him saying he doesnt have time with her and its only going to get worse (which technically would be true given the volume of information increase from year 1 to 2). Depends on the strength of the relationship, understanding on both parties, and buttloads of compromise.

this is something that has been bothering me since my first interview...

my interviewer asked me what i do to de-stress and i mentioned in passing that my boyfriend was teaching my how to play tennis. i was going to continue listing other things but he cut me off there and started saying that a lot of people's relationships fail during med school because spouses become spiteful at the loss of time together, etc, unless the relationship is extremely strong and supportive. he asked how i felt about that and i said i was confident in our relationship and i wasn't worried about anything in that respect, but i understood what could happen and it wasn't going to influence my desire to go through med school and become a doctor.

i got kind of a bad vibe from the guy throughout the whole interview to be honest, but has anyone else experienced something similar? do you think that mentioning you are in a relationship could hurt your chances of getting in somewhere? or was this particular interviewer just weirdly over-interested in my personal life? he even started asking questions about my boyfriend's career plans, etc...

It depends on YOUR relationship. There have obviously been relationships that have worked and relationships that have failed, and what determines that is the relationship itself.

If your significant other and you are planning on living in the same area or in the same apartment/house, that will make it a lot easier to stay together. If your significant other is prepared for your medschool lifestyle, that will make it easier to stay together. If you both take time out for one another and remember why you're in the relationship in the first place, your relationship will be functional (and that will make it easier to stay together). You never know how a new experience is going to affect you, as long as you're communicative and open to change (both of you!), you can make anything happen. Of course, just because you CAN make a relationship work doesn't mean you SHOULD. People grow apart. Let it go if it's time for it to go.