Relative Difficulty of AMCAS exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteSaille

Albion girl
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this under my test date thread, then decided it would probably be more helpful to post where others would see it besides just those taking the test on the same day as me.

So I took the free AMCAS practice test this morning (#3) and was surprised at how much easier it was than the Kaplan and ExamKrackers tests I've been doing.
11 PS / 14 VR / 12 BS = 37
Honestly I feel like the things I got wrong in PS and BS were just things I haven't covered in my physics and orgo studying yet... both those courses were a couple years ago and I haven't gone over all the material just yet.

My question is, has anyone done any of the other AMCAS practice tests, the ones they charge you for? I've heard from some people that the higher numbered ones are tougher. I can't afford to buy them all so I'd like to focus on the ones that would be most representative of the real thing. I know the official practice tests are real past MCATs, but are the lower numbered ones less like the actual test used now?

And has anyone else noticed this difference between the test prep companies' tests and the "official" AMCAS practice tests?

Members don't see this ad.

you probably got a run of strong topics. it happens. i took all the AAMC tests and i would score a 12 in the PS section and think, "I got this locked down" and the next test i would get a 9. Same for BS. I would say that happened once or twice. I usually averaged an 11 on the PS section and an 8 on the bio section (my 9-11-10 MCAT i got a 6 in bio) and my actual 5-21-11 MCAT gave me an 8 on the PS and a 10 on the bio. So it can be a crapshoot but test 9, 10, and 11 are the most indicative.

or you are smart as hell, in which case, you will be fine.

For the record, it's AAMC Exams....

AMCAS = American Medical College App Service

Now, generally people say 7-10, now exams 7-11 are most representative.

6 is being discontinued.

However, 3-5 are great confidence boosters if you've gone through content.