Release from MD/PhD program to MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvscience

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been accepted to an MD/PhD program at a school which I like and am currently waitlisted at MSTP programs which I would prefer. The MD/PhD program however requires that I commit by April 15th and the PhD program portion has a clause that I cannot attend any other PhD program after my commitment without their permission. There is a long list of schools which they have made this agreement with.

My question is, if there's waitlist movement after April 15th and I do get a spot at one of my preferred MSTP programs, would they still require the permission of the PhD program before allowing me to matriculate?

Members don't see this ad.

My question is, if there's waitlist movement after April 15th and I do get a spot at one of my preferred MSTP programs, would they still require the permission of the PhD program before allowing me to matriculate?

Per AMCAS rules, if you come off the waitlist somewhere else you can still go there until you start at a program. I imagine the MD/PhD program director at the program who took you off the waitlist would stand up for you on this at the new program. But I would just ask them at the time if this happens.

Do you think that I should tell the programs I'm waitlisted at about the situation?

Do you think that I should tell the programs I'm waitlisted at about the situation?

How many institutions are you talking about? I mean, you should write a LOI to your first choice that says "if you take me off your waitlist I will definitely go to your program". You might be able to contact them and see if there's any remote possibility of that happening. You could try contacting the other program coordinators politely to tell them your situation, and to ask if there is any way they could give you an estimate of your chances of coming off the waitlist at this point.

The reality is most waitlist movement isn't going to happen until at least April 15, and even a lot after May 15. So while it's fine to contact them, I wouldn't expect to have a final decision until somewhere around June 1 unless you come off the waitlist at your first choice sooner.