Releasing scores on ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ortholsu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking step 2 in three weeks, and I was told not to release my step 2 scores until I see what i got.

How do I do that?

On ERAS is it possible to put my USMLE ID and then only have my step 1 score released, and then go back and add my step 2 if i did better? I don't see how to do that on ERAS.

I don't wanna give out my step 2 unless i do better but i don't think i have an option.
Any help is appreciated

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

On ERA there are two questions they ask you about USMLE transcripts. The first is if you want to release your score history and takes place at the time you submit your ERAS application which I think the earliest date is September 1. At that time all scores you have so far are transmitted. The second questions asks you if you want any updates to your USMLE history automatically sent to the programs.
What most people do, as I understand it, is take the Step 2 after they have submitted their application - so they answer Yes to the first question and step 1 scores are automatically transmitted. They answer No to the second question so that they can see their step 2 scores before releasing them (or not releasing them) to the programs they have applied to.
You problem is that you will already have taken step 2 when you submit your application - so I don't know if this trick will work for you. If you submit ERAS on the earliest day possible, it might be that your scores won't be on your record yet for step 2.

I suppose this is long-winded way to say I don't know and I shouldn't really be responding to your post !

Totally do not check the first box that says automatically send step 2 scores. Check off that other box instead.