Relieved to have NOT gotten top choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dermguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I know some of the people who matched at my top choice (and their personality disorders), I am a little bit relieved to not be going there. Also the program I ended up matching at actually has a little broader training than my top choice and my Sig Other, who had a LOT of angst about my top choice, couldn't be happier now.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get my top choice. I think I would have really enjoyed my top choice.

But I'm still elated to be going to my #2 (which is a top flight program in its own right!)

I didn't match at my top choice but things have a way of working out. I've been very happy at my program! The mix of patients, the types of clinics, the didactics, and all the residents have been great.

Applicants meet a lot of interviewers, and the vibe that the program gets for how residents would fit in does actually mean something. When that many people interview you, the collective reaction people have to a particular applicant does ultimately hit it on the mark.

Applicants themselves tend to be blinded by their aspirations for what they believe is prestigious, but that is often based on half-truths and misconceptions.