Religious unis and research bias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swan_13

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
All of my research (pubs, posters) has been on ways religiosity is linked to negative outcomes for nonheterosexuals. Is that a red flag for religious universities (e.g. St John’s clinical program), even if I have other interests that match to faculty? Wondering if I should save my time/$$. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

All of my research (pubs, posters) has been on ways religiosity is linked to negative outcomes for nonheterosexuals. Is that a red flag for religious universities (e.g. St John’s clinical program), even if I have other interests that match to faculty? Wondering if I should save my time/$$. Thanks!

Doubt it. Catholic universities generally do not restrict faculty research programs to fit Catholicism or religiosity.

But I'm interested in your findings. Are you talking about individual faith? As in and individuals belief in God, Yahweh, higher power, etc. Because it has long been shown to have universally positive effects and outcomes on one's mental health and quality-of-life. Perhaps you're alluding to nonheterosexual's feeling ostracized or not welcome within a specific faith community, religion, or place of worship?

Reactions: 1 user
But I'm interested in your findings. Are you talking about individual faith? As in and individuals belief in God, Yahweh, higher power, etc. Because it has long been shown to have universally positive effects and outcomes on one's mental health and quality-of-life. Perhaps you're alluding to nonheterosexual's being ostracized or not welcome within a specific faith community, religion, or place of worship?

Fixed it for you... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm a St. John's grad posting with the caveat that I'm speaking from my experience and not for the program or university. The clinical psychology program is not a religious program, and if you didn't know it was a Catholic school, you couldn't tell the training apart from training at a state school or secular university. I saw no constraints placed on teaching, research, or academic freedom that would prevent someone from doing work on gender and sexuality. As a non-Catholic/non-Christian who isn't particularly religious (the school is among the most diverse in the country), I felt no pressure to adhere to any particular perspective. Faculty were supportive and encouraging of students who were interested in studying gender and sexuality, regardless of whether those interests tracked with the Catholic faith.

I'm a St. John's grad posting with the caveat that I'm speaking from my experience and not for the program or university. The clinical psychology program is not a religious program, and if you didn't know it was a Catholic school, you couldn't tell the training apart from training at a state school or secular university. I saw no constraints placed on teaching, research, or academic freedom that would prevent someone from doing work on gender and sexuality. As a non-Catholic/non-Christian who isn't particularly religious (the school is among the most diverse in the country), I felt no pressure to adhere to any particular perspective. Faculty were supportive and encouraging of students who were interested in studying gender and sexuality, regardless of whether those interests tracked with the Catholic faith.

Cool. Thank you.