Relocating to a new city

Started by garbage20
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

garbage20

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello --

I have a month to relocate to halfway across the country for med school ...
any tips (hindsight, perhaps?) on how to plan out the next 4 weeks would be greatly appreciated.

Questions:
* driver's license and auto insurance - when to switch over?
* housing - when to start looking?
* health insurance - where do I go for insurance while atttending school?
* laptop, textbooks and supplies - when should I buy these?

How much time should I allow to get settled and acquainted with the area before orientation? I'm planning 1 week.

Soo many things to plan ahead for... I'm somewhat frazzled about prioritizing the errands! Yikes!
 
Hi there,
I never switched my drivers license or auto insurance as I never planned on becoming a resident of the area where my medical school was located. If you are there for school and nothing else, don't switch. If becoming a resident makes expenses cheaper (auto insurance etc) then leave early and get this stuff done at least a couple of weeks before orientation starts. You need a local address to do this anyway so see below:

Housing - Start looking now. You are already pretty late.

Health Insurance - most medical schools provide insurance for students. Call your admissions office and find out what is available. If not, look into the local Blue Cross for healthy young adults. This will be the cheapest option.

Books - Don't buy anything until you get to school and find out what you actually need. Your big sib/second year advisior is your best source of info on this. My big sib give me all of her first year books so I didn't need to purchase anything except a coffee maker. Believe me, she got homemade cookies loads of time during that year.

njbmd 🙂