RBA

Dec 10, 2009
Status
Is anyone using remi infusions in a case with spontaneous respirations, such as for a knee arthroscopy? I seem to lose respiratory drive even at low doses, ie. O.125 mcg/kg/min with some diprivan.

Similarly, what dosage range do people use for remi during sedation cases.
Thanks!

ProRealDoc

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Is anyone using remi infusions in a case with spontaneous respirations, such as for a knee arthroscopy? I seem to lose respiratory drive even at low doses, ie. O.125 mcg/kg/min with some diprivan.

Thanks!

:confused:

lane

Passing gas
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
seems a little like overkill for a knee scope... what ever happened to 100-150 mcg fentanyl?

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician

Thanks!

Are you a nurse?

bullard

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I've used remi at 0.05-0.08 mcg/kg/min for awake cranis. Remi is expensive, but then, so is having an awake crani.

I try to avoid remi as much as possible, but find it hard to avoid when the neurosurgeons want SSEPs, MEPs, CN7 monitoring, etc for their cranis.

So, um, remi for knee scope? WTF?

RBA

Dec 10, 2009
Status
I am in the process of playing around with remi so that when I use it on spine cases I have a little better feel for what to expect. Usually for a knee scope I'll throw a little fentanyl in with the diprivan and go from there. I've used it on intubated, ventilated patients with success. I was just curious about possible uses in spontaneous breathing situations.

SleepIsGood

Support the ASA !
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
No, sounds more like a crna only group.
well I hope Obama takes all that CRNAs money. The CRNA is definitely taking the state's with all that useless Remi cost on such a simple procedure.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status

Thanks!
Remi is an expensive anesthesia gimmick thats unneeded.

aredoubleyou

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
Last time I called BullS..t on somebody's post, I was wrong...so I'll give RBA the benefit of the doubt.

Titrating remifentanyl to maintain spontaneous breathing is pointless, I do not think its a drug that will get a person to not move under stimulation at a dose that low. Then again I havent been using them for knee scopes.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2003
Here
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Then again I havent been using them for knee scopes.
thats because its ridiculous. either go to sleep or stay awake but dont charge someone 2 grand for an anesthetic that offers them little more than an LMA and 10 bucks worth of sevo

Jay K

nullum gratuitum prandium
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
ハードボイルド・ ワンダーランド
Status
Attending Physician
I surmise that you're following the recommended dosage rates provided by the manufacturer's insert for sedation; These rates, especially in conjunction with propofol, are too high for the clinical utility you're looking for, as you have so plainly observed in your own cases.

On the rare occasions I run Remifol, my rate of infusion is significantly lower.

I do not run Remifol for knee scopes.

Last edited:

fakin' the funk

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
O.125 mcg/kg/min with some diprivan.
I typically don't jump on the "This question is BS, the OP is a nurse!" bandwagon when it rolls around...

But, seriously, who other than old-as-f$ck ICU nurses calls it "Diprivan"?

sevo85288

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Most physicians know not to use brand names to refer to medications. I hope, at least. Better yet, I use the chemical name:

2,6-diisopropylphenol

:)

The mechanism is also more easily recalled if one can remember the chemical structure and its relation to the appropriate chemical ligands/channels.

But seriously, there should be no need for this type of anesthetic plan for routine knee arthroscopy cases. Pts do VERY well with traditional anesthetic plans.

Last edited:

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2003
Here
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
having seen my institution switch from propofol to diprivan, there is definitely a difference

drccw

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2008
Status
I typically don't jump on the "This question is BS, the OP is a nurse!" bandwagon when it rolls around...

But, seriously, who other than old-as-f$ck ICU nurses calls it "Diprivan"?
unfortunately some of the old as F anesthesiologists in my group call drugs by their trade names. there is one guy who is horrible; everytime I take over cases from him I hear about Robinal, Zemuroron, etc...

Though I havent heard anyone ever use sublimaze.. that is really old school if they did...

RabbMD

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
May 13, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
The only one I tend to call by its trade name is zofran, because that is way shorter to write than ondansetron :).

Dirtball

7+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Remi is useful for some cases as a bolus. Reconstituted to 30-50 mcg/ml, I hand bolus via a 3cc syringe in 15-30 mcg boluses, to stop movement during a stimulating portion of a procedure that doesn't have much post op pain. ie. cystoscope insertion thru tight meatal stricture- this "MAC" case will require a few mask breaths after the remi bolus, during acromium shaving with burr during some of my shoulder scopes with ISB / LMA but no relaxant - BP may go up leading to poor visualization - options 1. ^ Gas 2. Labetolol 3. Fent. 4. Prop 5. Remi bolus . I prefer starting with remi bolus for this 5 minute BP spike. I see Pt's respond to the shaving in spite of 100% solid blocks in Pacu . Very easy to throw more narcotic at them in the OR , but I do most of my shoulders on 50 mcg Fent total. The remi bolus does it's job to dec. BP and improve visualization for a few minutes, it just may require a few squeezes on the bag. ....I don't have any infusion advice for "sedation" cases.