Ketamine infusions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty sure the "pre-Glenn/Fontan checks" are just a way for the interventional cardiologists to rack up some more $$. It's like what's the alternative, not doing the surgery?

Not quite. In routine Fontan pathway patients (if there is such a thing), sure...you can pretty reliably say that their PVR is probably amenable to a Glenn after 3 months. We are primarily looking at infants who have comorbid, extracardiac conditions that complicate the typical course. To these kids, a hemodynamic cath (even if it's a "no go" for surgery) ensures that they are not hanging out unnecessarily in the hospital and helps plan their second operation.

Members don't see this ad.

We use it a lot in the pain clinic.

We use it a lot on post surgical patients, or patients that get admitted for pain, or we get consulted for pain.

I believe that every anesthesiologist should read the study by Kock. It is a well done study with several arms. What is phenomenal about the results, is patients had less wound hyperalgesia 6 MONTHS after the surgery. That is pretty amazing. What you do in the OR matters a lot.

Attachments

• ketaminei nfusion bowel surgery.pdf
    543.6 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: 1 user
Although I will say, with the huge rise in ERAS pathways and the heavier use of intraoperative alpha-2 agonists and preoperative lidocaine infusions, IV tylenol and NSAIDS, coupled with minimal to no opioids - it may be the use of ketamine is less important. I think the real benefit of ketamine was when anesthesiologist typically used tons of opioids to treat sympathetic discharge with surgery. We know this makes pain worse, and opioid use post op more - so maybe the ketamine simply counteracted this. It is unknown if in the absence of opioid use, ketamine would still have as large of impact as seen in the Kock study attached above.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has that been replicated? because i can assure you that the guy would alter his results to his liking.

I'm a huge fan of ketamine (low dose) as part of the anesthetic plan. I'd want some for myself if postop pain was expected after the procedure.

Since I'm a KISS guy the dosage I use is 0.5 mg/kg IV up front (cases less than 2 hours) and maybe an infusion (+/- mixed with propofol) for big back cases.
This is a great analgesic and the ASA backs its usage in patients with pre-existing Chronic Pain or those expected to have a lot of pain postop.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2015/749837/

Reactions: 1 user
Intraoperative ketamine reduces immediate postoperative opioid consumption after spinal fusion surgery in chronic pain patients with opioid dependency: a randomized, blinded trial

Nielsen, Rikke Vibeke; Fomsgaard, Jonna Storm; Siegel, Hanna; Martusevicius, Robertas; Nikolajsen, Lone; Dahl, Jørgen Berg; Mathiesen, Ole

Pain: March 2017 - Volume 158 - Issue 3 - p 463–470
doi: 10.1097/j.pain.0000000000000782
Research Paper

Abstract: Perioperative handling of surgical patients with opioid dependency represents an important clinical problem. Animal studies suggest that ketamine attenuates central sensitization and hyperalgesia and thereby reduces postoperative opioid tolerance. We hypothesized that intraoperative ketamine would reduce immediate postoperative opioid consumption compared with placebo in chronic pain patients with opioid dependency undergoing lumbar spinal fusion surgery. Primary outcome was morphine consumption 0 to 24 hours postoperatively. Secondary outcomes were acute pain at rest and during mobilization 2 to 24 hours postoperatively (visual analogue scale), adverse events, and persistent pain 6 months postoperatively. One hundred fifty patients were randomly assigned to intraoperative S-ketamine bolus 0.5 mg/kg and infusion 0.25 mg·kg−1·h−1 or placebo. Postoperatively, patients received their usual opioids, paracetamol and IV patient-controlled analgesia with morphine. In the final analyses, 147 patients were included. Patient-controlled analgesia IV morphine consumption 0 to 24 hours postoperatively was significantly reduced in the ketamine group compared with the placebo group: 79 (47) vs 121 (53) mg IV, mean difference 42 mg (95% confidence interval −59 to −25), P < 0.001. Sedation was significantly reduced in the ketamine group 6 and 24 hours postoperatively. There were no significant differences regarding acute pain, nausea, vomiting, hallucinations, or nightmares. Back pain at 6 months postoperatively compared with preoperative pain was significantly more improved in the ketamine group compared with the placebo group, P = 0.005. In conclusion, intraoperative ketamine significantly reduced morphine consumption 0 to 24 hours after lumbar fusion surgery in opioid-dependent patients. The trend regarding less persistent pain 6 months postoperatively needs further investigation.

Last edited:
Has that been replicated? because i can assure you that the guy would alter his results to his liking.
I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you saying the author (Kock) has been known to alter his results to get a good outcome?

I didn't train there but a collegue that did told me that the way the anesthetic was delivered (by the residents) would not always follow the protocol so i'm suspiscious about the results.

I didn't train there but a collegue that did told me that the way the anesthetic was delivered (by the residents) would not always follow the protocol so i'm suspiscious about the results.
Research is hard. That sort of thing probably happens in every trial.

That is good gouge to know however.

I want to really like ketamine infusions but my anecdotal experience has been fairly meh so far.

I usually do 0.25-0.5mg/kg load then 5mcg/kg/min (0.3 mg/kg/h) for a while. Typical total doses 50-150mg.

I feel like some people get some benefit and others don't; I don't know how to identify these ahead of time. Very few, or none, have hallucinations. I don't always give midazolam, in fact, usually not. I don't find that it prolongs the wakeup at all.