Remote Clinical Research at another school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current M1 going to school on the east coast, have already determined I am staying at my home institution for summer research but wondering if anyone knows if its possible to get remote clinical research opportunities at schools on the west coast. I am thinking about applying for residency there and want to make some connections through research, but I understand this might be hard getting access to EMR and such. Does anyone have experience with this or know a good way to make connections on the other coast (ideally, before away rotations)?

Members don't see this ad.

Current M1 going to school on the east coast, have already determined I am staying at my home institution for summer research but wondering if anyone knows if its possible to get remote clinical research opportunities at schools on the west coast. I am thinking about applying for residency there and want to make some connections through research, but I understand this might be hard getting access to EMR and such. Does anyone have experience with this or know a good way to make connections on the other coast (ideally, before away rotations)?
I know a student at another institution in my state does tons of research at mine in a competitive surgical subspecialty. Just email residents at the program your interested in (make sure he/she is productive) and explain what you wanna do. If the residents emails aren't online I would email the program coordinator and maybe they can help out

Reactions: 2 users
I do remote research at a school/hospital I don't attend. EMR access is a pain and takes a while, but it is doable. I have remote EMR access and will eventually have a few pubs out of it due to it. My advice is just cold email saying Hi I'm 71650 at blah blah school and would like to do remote research with you as I am interested in blah blah blah. Do this 10x and hopefully 1-2 say yes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Jumping on this thread as I'm also interested, how long does the onboarding process usually take before you can actually get access to the data and start working on some projects?

Reactions: 1 user
I do remote research at a school/hospital I don't attend. EMR access is a pain and takes a while, but it is doable. I have remote EMR access and will eventually have a few pubs out of it due to it. My advice is just cold email saying Hi I'm 71650 at blah blah school and would like to do remote research with you as I am interested in blah blah blah. Do this 10x and hopefully 1-2 say yes.
I know a student at another institution in my state does tons of research at mine in a competitive surgical subspecialty. Just email residents at the program your interested in (make sure he/she is productive) and explain what you wanna do. If the residents emails aren't online I would email the program coordinator and maybe they can help out
Would you suggest emailing residents directly or attendings? Also seconding the question about the onboarding process it definitely seems like a pain, and from talking to some others it almost seems impossible if you don't have any affiliation with that hospital. Thanks!

Would you suggest emailing residents directly or attendings? Also seconding the question about the onboarding process it definitely seems like a pain, and from talking to some others it almost seems impossible if you don't have any affiliation with that hospital. Thanks!
personally I would email the residents. Since I haven't done this before personally I really can't speak to the feasibility of the EMR access. I think it'll be very program dependent and will depend on if they've had other students try to do the same thing

personally I would email the residents. Since I haven't done this before personally I really can't speak to the feasibility of the EMR access. I think it'll be very program dependent and will depend on if they've had other students try to do the same thing
I've barely interacted with residents, but I cold emailed an attending and got a research gig that way. EMR access was just a bunch of paperwork, background checks, and HIPPA stuff and wasn't bad, just a bit tedious.

I've barely interacted with residents, but I cold emailed an attending and got a research gig that way. EMR access was just a bunch of paperwork, background checks, and HIPPA stuff and wasn't bad, just a bit tedious.
Nicee, how long did it take for you to do all the paperwork before you can actually start your research gig? Like 2 months from start to finish? (at least that's what I'm estimating for now)

I did this in medical school for chart review. My advice is to first figure out logistically if you can get EMR access. You'll likely have to do some online modules before you'll be eligible for the EMR access and then I recommend you deal only with the contacts you have with the school (someone with a .edu email address from the medical school) and tech support. Once you get EMR access, there's really nothing stopping you from working remotely. Good luck!

Nicee, how long did it take for you to do all the paperwork before you can actually start your research gig? Like 2 months from start to finish? (at least that's what I'm estimating for now)
I think 2 months is reasonable. I began my research right as covid begun taking off, so everything was slow because the hospital and the staff were in a s**t-show getting adapted to COVID protocols and widespread remote work. 2-months should be plenty of time I think now that they are accustomed to remote work.

Reactions: 1 user