Reneg after pre-matriculation program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elliejellybean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a weird spot. I was sure I bombed my interview at my top program and around that time I got waitlisted at an extremely expensive OOS school. With my options at the time I was content going to the cheap, instate 'XYZ' program I had been accepted to (plus I really liked some of the people I met). As a result, I signed up to do a paid pre-matriculation program. Last week I found out I made the alternate list at my top program. If I get in I would like to go, but I'm not sure if I because of the commitment I made to XYZ school. I signed a paper saying I intend to matriculate to XYZ school and there is a stipend for taking these classes so could I back out? Also, considering my interview for my top choice was less than a month ago how would I go about writing a letter of intent with no updates?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Without seeing the agreement, I cannot give a definitive answer. however, it is unlikely that you have legal commitment to the medical school. This is a situation is where a letter of intent could be considered a legal contract but it is extremely unlikely they would do so. the agreement for the prematriculation is a different question and you will likely have to return any stipend if you have started the program, which you likely haven't. your issue is the uncertainty in being an alternate at the top program. you need to discuss the situation with pre-matriculation people and Explain the situation. they likely will withdraw from the pre-matriculation program but they can't rescind your acceptance while you wait on alternate.
Do I mention being accepted elsewhere in my LOI?

Don't say a word to the place you have the acceptance. If you get into the better school, go there. If the old school asks you to repay what they did for you, feel free to consider it. You are not locked in anywhere until day one of school. your future is much much much more important than a non-binding commitment.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That is ridiculous as all schools can see all acceptances as of April 1st so why hide it? Indeed, it is the only argument that a student can use is I have acceptance at A but would give it up to go to school B. Any school that seriously considers LOI would almost surely check the alternate's acceptance status elsewhere.
I think he means in the case that I do end up going to XYZ school it would not be in my best interest to let them know they are my second choice. Not that I shouldn't tell my top choice that I've gotten in elsewhere

I think he means in the case that I do end up going to XYZ school it would not be in my best interest to let them know they are my second choice. Not that I shouldn't tell my top choice that I've gotten in elsewhere

What Jalby is saying is that Ellie shouldn't say anything to the place she currently has an acceptance to.