Reneging on a letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PBR727

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody reneged on a letter of intent? Would this look bad in the eyes of other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

PBR727 said:
Has anybody reneged on a letter of intent? Would this look bad in the eyes of other schools?

Letters of intent aren't legally binding (i don't think) and I'm sure others have done it. I don't know if other schools actually find out that you wrote a letter of intent and are backing out. But it does seem kinda *uncool* to do something like that. Do you have a really good reason for it?

why would they be legally binding? What is the school going to be like- "No, you promised us that you will come here... we're going to sue you now."??

Members don't see this ad :)
PBR727 said:

Has the school you sent the letter to you accepted you yet because of this letter? If not, just send them an email telling them you couldn't wait around that long and had to withdraw you letter of intent. They'll understand, seeing as people can't wait around for a school to decide until the day before class starts. Especially since a lot of students have other issues to consider (new job for spouse, new house, school for the kids, etc.).

Writing an LOI then not attending that school I think is acceptable in some cases, like the case mentioned above, if you're on a bunch of waitlists, and the school you wrote an LOI hasn't accepted you yet, but you are accepted to somewhere else and decide to go there instead, I think its fine to withdraw your app to the school you wrote the LOI.....on the otherhand, if you write a bunch of LOIs to schools you're on waitlists for, and you get accepted to all the schools, in that case, that's def not cool, lacks respect and integrity.....but its not illegal and unfortunately some people probably do it......but you never know who's talking to who at each of the school's....your name may become notorious after pulling something like that....

Basically, I had an early interview at one school and really liked what I saw. I was waitlisted in late October and then applied to Vanderbilt (AMCAS submitted in November). After interviewing at Vandy, I decided that it was my #1 choice. I'm just wondering if taking back the original LOI would look bad.

after i got rejected from a school, i sent them 2 letters of intent: F and U

PublicEnemy said:
after i got rejected from a school, i sent them 2 letters of intent: F and U

nice :laugh: :thumbup:

PBR727 said:
Basically, I had an early interview at one school and really liked what I saw. I was waitlisted in late October and then applied to Vanderbilt (AMCAS submitted in November). After interviewing at Vandy, I decided that it was my #1 choice. I'm just wondering if taking back the original LOI would look bad.

So have you been accepted by anyone yet? If not, I would sit on the LOI and hope that Vandy accepts you first. Then just tell the school you sent the LOI to that you couldn't wait any longer. What if you take back the LOI (and are essentially getting the boot from that school because who would take someone for reneging on an LOI) and then Vandy rejects you? You'll be re-applying next year.

Code Brown said:
So have you been accepted by anyone yet? If not, I would sit on the LOI and hope that Vandy accepts you first. Then just tell the school you sent the LOI to that you couldn't wait any longer. What if you take back the LOI (and are essentially getting the boot from that school because who would take someone for reneging on an LOI) and then Vandy rejects you? You'll be re-applying next year.

Code Brown's advice sounds pretty good :thumbup:

I agree with Code Brown too. But maybe send in a very strong letter of interest to Vandy.

I have a couple of acceptances, but I see what you're saying. I'm thinking I might write a letter of interest (not LOI) to Vanderbilt, thanks.
Code Brown said:

PBR727 said:
I have a couple of acceptances, but I see what you're saying. I'm thinking I might write a letter of interest (not LOI) to Vanderbilt, thanks.

Good luck! :luck: