Rent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FUTDR

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how much you should be spending on rent? What is reasonable for a student? Granted a nicer place is better but was wondering what other students are spending on average.

Members don't see this ad.

Your rent will depend on what city you're living in. I plan on spending 1500/month for a nice one bedroom in San Francisco next year, but I'm sure that could get you a 3 bedroom house in a cheaper area.

Very true. I will be moving to Cleveland. The range seems to be from 400 to 1000 for efficiencies to 1 bedroom. I am currently living in a luxary apt in Texas since I worked the past 4 years so switching to a student mode of living will be an adjustment. But I would like to keep the debt down as much as possible though. Curious to see what others are doing...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, are most of you living alone or will you be finding a roommate? It would be nice to have a roommate to keep costs down but do I really want to live with another dental student?

I'll be apartment shopping next week, hopefully I can find something reasonable!

FUTDR said:
Just wondering how much you should be spending on rent? What is reasonable for a student? Granted a nicer place is better but was wondering what other students are spending on average.

I have a three bedroom apt. in Seattle for $900 for all you U-dubbers out there. :) (That's for those of you who can handle two roomies...mine are my best friends from middle school so it's not too bad)

I plan on living alone for the first year in a one bedroom apt. I'm kind of a neat freak, so I don't think I could handle living with someone I didn't know, especially if we had to share a bathroom. Maybe I can find a neat girl to live with my second year.

Rent in Indy is reasonable. I will most likely be paying mid $400 to $500 per month. I don't know how expensive utilities will be though...