Renting Medical Equipment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

My interest in this program is...

• Very High -- I'd do it right now!

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • High

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Moderate

• Mild

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • None -- No thanks!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SDN is looking at starting a new medical equipment rental service for students: SDN Non-profit Rentals.

I'd like to know if you have an interest in it. Please let me know by voting in the poll.

What will we offer?
Full size and pocket Ophthalmoscope / Otoscope sets

How does it work?
You give us a deposit, pay a low yearly fee, then return the equipment in 1-4 years for a full refund of your original deposit (if the unit was returned in good working order). Plus, you get interest on your deposit!

What's the deposit
It is a $300 deposit for the equipment.

What's the yearly fee?
Just $50 per year. Payment is due on the first day of the cycle. Because the fee is so low, there is no prorated fee and no rebates on this fee.

How long will it take to get it?
We will ship the equipment to you overnight upon receipt of the deposit and first year's rental fee (via check or credit card).

You will then be charged $50 per year for the unit. You may keep the unit as many years as desired, depending on your need.

What do I do when I'm done renting it?
When you no longer need the unit, ship it back to us.

The unit will be inspected. If it is returned in proper working condition with minimal wear and tear, your deposit will be returned to you with interest. Any broken or missing equipment will be deducted from your deposit, with the remainder returned to you with interest.

Why would SDN offer this service?
The Student Doctor Network is a nonprofit organization dedicated to medical student education. Most students only need equipment for 1-2 years, making purchase of the equipment an inappropriate investment for students.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not going to med school..but it sounds like a great idea to me!

I'll be starting med school in fall 2004 and am not familiar with prices for these items yet...so before I vote, how much does an ophthalmoscope and otoscope usually cost?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can usually buy a Welch-Allyn set for $400 from your medical bookstore. I've seen similar sets online for about $320, not including shipping.

this is not a sensible idea. assume you rent the equipment for MS3 and MS4 only. that's a net cost of $100, but you give up a $300 deposit, and won't see that money for 2 years!

I could just as easily buy a new set for $400, use it for 2 years, and then resell it to another student for $300! net cost is the same $100.

Or I could buy a used set for $300 (or perhaps even less), and then resell it after 2 years for the same amt. Net cost = 0!!

It's a nice idea, but I don't know how practical it is. best of luck.

Originally posted by doc05
this is not a sensible idea. assume you rent the equipment for MS3 and MS4 only. that's a net cost of $100, but you give up a $300 deposit, and won't see that money for 2 years!

I could just as easily buy a new set for $400, use it for 2 years, and then resell it to another student for $300! net cost is the same $100.

Or I could buy a used set for $300 (or perhaps even less), and then resell it after 2 years for the same amt. Net cost = 0!!

It's a nice idea, but I don't know how practical it is. best of luck.

Yes, this is what I thought as well. But, I wanted to get some feedback on the idea.

Thanks to everyone that has posted feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.