Renting prices in Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doclm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to the big cha town this last weekend to look for apartments. They all ranged from $850 (for a really small 1bdrm) -$1500(for a nicer townhome). After looking through 25 different places, I found one that would be comfortable at $1000/month+electric. :eek:

Is this the norm for all you RFU'ers? I know that I can easily finance this for one year, however how do you live off $1600/month (not including summers) if your monthly rent is this high? Anyone work their 2nd year or in the summers?

I know that there are other private loans avaliable, however after being in a repayment period with a small $4000 private loan, I cannot imagine the nightmare of a large private loan.

Members don't see this ad.

doclm said:
I went to the big cha town this last weekend to look for apartments. They all ranged from $850 (for a really small 1bdrm) -$1500(for a nicer townhome). After looking through 25 different places, I found one that would be comfortable at $1000/month+electric. :eek:

Is this the norm for all you RFU'ers? I know that I can easily finance this for one year, however how do you live off $1600/month (not including summers) if your monthly rent is this high? Anyone work their 2nd year or in the summers?

I know that there are other private loans avaliable, however after being in a repayment period with a small $4000 private loan, I cannot imagine the nightmare of a large private loan.

I cannot comment on the living in Chicago, but I will tell you that even with a private loan you cannot borrow above and beyond the living allowance set by your school. The only loans that you can qualify are private personal loans; the Department of Education says that the schools living allowance is the maximum amount that student loans can be used for. The only exceptions are emergencies, day care, or unpaid health bills.

doclm said:

Renting is ridiculous here, but everyone does it (me included). I'm currently paying $800/mo+utilities so I would say your price is reasonable. I am working this summer and some next year but won't be able to much other than saturdays. I wouldn't take out any more than I had to though. Live as cheap as possible so you won't have to worry about it later.

Members don't see this ad :)
MurrayButler said:
Renting is ridiculous here, but everyone does it (me included). I'm currently paying $800/mo+utilities so I would say your price is reasonable. I am working this summer and some next year but won't be able to much other than saturdays. I wouldn't take out any more than I had to though. Live as cheap as possible so you won't have to worry about it later.

I wonder what it's like in the BIG NYC? :eek: :eek: :eek:

doclm said:
I wonder what it's like in the BIG NYC? :eek: :eek: :eek:

$1500 per month for 400 square feet that has a kitchen and bathroom included.

unless you live in the surrounfing burrows.

krabmas said:
$1500 per month for 400 square feet that has a kitchen and bathroom included.

unless you live in the surrounfing burrows.

WOW :eek:

I will be paying $1000 per month for 1450ft 2bdrm, 2bath, large patio. Also, on the grounds there is an indoor pool, sauna, lake, and fitness center. However, I will be traveling from 20 miles away on a 8 lane interstate to get to school and back. Which is not too bad considering I used to travel 60 miles to my undergrad school.

I don't mean to sound selfish, I will be living with someone else. Just that my significant other has to commute about the same distance away south of where we will be living and I have 3 pets. A small dog (PEKE) and two cats.

This is unusual considering how cheap I am with $$. If I were to live by myself I would get a few roomates to split up the costs more. Or possibly sleep on the Metra for $2 a night :rolleyes:....I guess you can ride those trains up to 24 hours after you pay. :laugh:

doclm said:

I will be paying $1000 per month for 1450ft 2bdrm, 2bath, large patio. Also, on the grounds there is an indoor pool, sauna, lake, and fitness center. However, I will be traveling from 20 miles away on a 8 lane interstate to get to school and back. Which is not too bad considering I used to travel 60 miles to my undergrad school.

I don't mean to sound selfish, I will be living with someone else. Just that my significant other has to commute about the same distance away south of where we will be living and I have 3 pets. A small dog (PEKE) and two cats.

This is unusual considering how cheap I am with $$. If I were to live by myself I would get a few roomates to split up the costs more. Or possibly sleep on the Metra for $2 a night :rolleyes:....I guess you can ride those trains up to 24 hours after you pay. :laugh:

I own my townhouse, 1800 sq ft. 3 bedrooms 2 1/2 bath. It is about 5 blocks from a huge lake and across the street from an awesome golf course (they had a Champions tour stop last year). I pay about $900 for mortgage, taxes and insurance. I love the big cities, but I'm old enough now to believe that they only fun to visit.

doclm said:

I live just outside manhattan in the south bronx with my now husband of 2 days and our dog a Jindo named Pal.

we have about 700 sq ft for $1300 a month.

no pool, no patio, the roof is accessable and covered in tarmack stuff. Oh gotta love city livin. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to move to the burbs and drive my big box car to the big box stores. :laugh:

krabmas said:
I live just outside manhattan in the south bronx with my now husband of 2 days and our dog a Jindo named Pal.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

krabmas said:
the wedding is not in vegas but I will be there for the APMSA meeting - will you?

I wish, but alas, someone needs to take care of Feelgood. You have to watch him 24/7. They say if he ever stops beating that cowbell just for a split second, his heart will immediately stop.

IlizaRob said:
I wish, but alas, someone needs to take care of Feelgood. You have to watch him 24/7. They say if he ever stops beating that cowbell just for a split second, his heart will immediately stop.

Its true, I had to stop beting the bell for a second to typeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.........................

Its okay Rob revived meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.............................

I can't type anymore.