Repeat..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesi7556

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I took Gen Chem 2 last fall and got a C-, I retook it this spring and got another C-. I am planing on taking a year long break from chemistry and taking O-chem1&2 in the summer and re-retake gen chem 2 in the spring of 2016 for my fall 16 application. Here are my stats as of today:

GPA: 2.820, aiming for a 3.2,3.3 ish when it's all done.
PCAT: not taken yet but aiming for high 70's low 80's
Have been working at a pharmacy for about 8 months
President of the pre-pharmacy club at the university.
Has anyone with similar stats/situation as far as repeating something twice gotten into a school anywhere? If so please let me know! Pharmacy is my dream and I will do anything to achieve it. I have 4 semesters to get GPA up to at least a 3.2-3.3 ish to be competitive but the repeating of the class just looks very bad.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Um, I would be concerned. I believe most pharmacy schools do not take C-'s, so you've basically failed Gen Chem 2, twice.
I only know one person who really sucked at lower-level chemistry and then did great at OChem. OChem is normally a hard class for people. I would worry about taking it in the summer (as it is condensed) and getting an A (and you definitely need to do well).
You need to take a serious step back and look at why you failed. Are you working too much? Too many ECs? Are you studying enough/know how to study?
If you do what you aim to, I think you should be fine getting into to pharmacy school. Apply widely and early. Just remember saying it and doing it are two different things. Pharmacy school is going to be vastly different from undergraduate, and if you are struggling at a lower level class (and this 1 class isn't a blip for whatever reason), pharmacy school is going to be much harder.
This calculator let's you see how many credits you need at a specific grade to raise your GPA and other useful stuff if you're interested.
http://www.clarion.edu/84631/
I wish you luck!

Reactions: 1 user
One thing you really need to do for gen chem is practice the problems. Before each test I would do a bunch of the problems in the back of each chapter until I could do them without hardly thinking. The tests will be a piece of cake if you do that.
Also, I'm not so sure about planning to take ochem I & II in a summer. I didn't think ochem was bad at all, but I don't know anybody else who shares my opinion. It's a tough class for most people. If I were you I'd find a way to squeeze it into your fall and spring semesters and then maybe take electives or easier classes during the summer. Also, taking electives during the summer (or just taking 18 or so credit hours per semester) may be a good idea because it will help bring up your GPA. You can easily get an A in an elective.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that you got a C- a second time is a red flag... plus OChem makes gen chem look like a party. If you do pull A's in ochem and on your retake you will be fine so get studying!!#@!#@

But once again, to your point about studying. I think I do enough of it because if you remove chem, my gpa is closer to a 3.5. I feel like it's an issue with chemistry in general