1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Repeated courses?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by blankguy, Apr 17, 2004.

?

Did you repeat if so how many courses?

1. None

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. Yes, 1 course

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Yes, 2 courses

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Yes, 3 courses

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Yes, 4 courses

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. Yes, 5 courses

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Yes, 6 courses

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  8. Yes, 7 courses

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Yes, all of them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Curious as to how many people have repeated prereqs.
    Did you repeat? If so how many courses did you repeate?

2. gatorfan99

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Be REALLY careful about that... I would recommend to withdraw from a course instead of failing and then repeating.

3. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

gatorfan99 is right...

I have only repeated courses I had W 'Withdraw' on... and I intentionally wanted the 'W' instead of getting below 'C' - which would have damaged my GPA considerably.

4. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    What if an admi person tells you to take course over since it was such a long time ago?? :confused:

5. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

I would do it, if that's going to help me get in to that school. But how long is long again? anything over 5 years might be questionable - but I would still do it.

6. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I took them for the first time over 10 yrs ago. The admissions person stressed I needed to prep for the DAT. Given my situation of some 10+ yrs ago, I think I would have repeat them anyways since I didn't pass most of them and didn't get to one(Physics). This is going to generate so many red flags on my transcript :( but I guess this is what I have to do. However I asked this to see how many people have been in the same boat as have taken all or some of the prereqs a while ago and now have to retake them.
    When I mean a long time ago I mean 5+ but more like 10+ yrs. The questions is how would schools view such a big time gap. From what I could sense from talking to people it could be in my favor I could do well but... a repeat is a repeat and is still going to generate questions. And bring down my overall GPA. I hope they are not like "well, you took it 10+ yrs ago and we are still going to hold that old immature self against you despite your great progress of recent years so don't bother with us you have zero chance, once you slip up that's it for you!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I talked to one of the postbacc directors around here(Tufts) and she mentioned that I am as good as somebody who is starting anew. So I guess this with one of the admissions people told me settles it.